𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬

sign of the times

'welcome to the final show, hope you're wearing your best clothes'

"Expelliarmus!" Sirius Black croaked, pointing Ron's wand at them. Harry, Lyra and Hermione's wands shot out of their hands, high in the air, and Black caught them. Then he took a step closer. His eyes flitted between Harry and Lyra, but eventually settled on the boy.

"I thought you'd come and help your friend," he said hoarsely. His voice sounded as though he had long ago lost the habit of using it. "Your father would have done the same for me. Brave of you, not to run for a teacher. I'm grateful... it will make everything much easier..."

The three friends silently agreed not to tell Black that Melanie had, indeed, gone to retrieve a teacher.

Lyra saw the anger flare in Harry's eyes as her father made a taunt about James. She and Hermione held him back as he lunged forward.

"No, Harry!" Hermione gasped in a petrified whisper; Ron however, spoke to Black.

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us, too!" he said, fiercely, though the effort of standing up had drained him of more colour, and he swayed slightly as he spoke.

Something flickered in her father's shadowed eyes.

"Lie down," he said quietly to Ron. "You will damage that leg even more."

"Did you hear me?" Ron said weakly, though he was clinging painfully onto Lyra's shoulder to stay upright. "You'll have to kill all three of us before you get to him!"

"There'll only be one murder here tonight," said Black, and his grin widened.

Lyra stayed quiet and allowed her friends to do the talking for her, afraid that the moment she opened her mouth, the only thing that would come out was twelve years worth of hatred and fury at the man.

"Why's that?" Harry spat, trying to shrug out of the grip she and Hermione had on him. 'Didn't care last time, did you? Didn't mind slaughtering all those muggles to get at Pettigrew... What's the matter? Gone soft  in Azkaban?"

Lyra bit her lip to stop the grin from pulling at her mouth. Good ol' Harry never failed to draw back in his sassometer for anyone.

"Harry!" Hermione whimpered. "Be quiet!"

"HE KILLED MY MUM AND DAD!" Harry roared, and with a huge effort, he broke free from Lyra and Hermione's restraint and lunged forward.

Lyra stepped back, frozen as she watched Harry and Sirius wrestle on the floor. Spells were thrown askew as Harry tried to push the wands from Black's hand. Harry fought the older man, but Black was much more built and stronger, and soon had his hand wrapped tightly around Harry's throat.

She was about to step in, to pull Black off Harry, but she felt the earth fall beneath her feet and fell unconscious.