The Competition

A/N: So this AU, I guess, you're 18 and Varian is as well. Basically Varian is the prince of Corona and there will be a competition that girls all over the kingdom can participate in to win the prince's heart. Twenty girls enter but only one stays. It's like The Selection if you've read that but if you haven't then it's like The Bachelor. If you don't know what The Bachelor is, you either real young or from another country. Anyways, you've been picked to be the contestant from your village, Old Corona. (This might be a mini series rather than a one shot)

You had just finished packing up your things and could only hope that none of your alchemy stuff would break on the way. The carriage was waiting to take you to the palace. Today was the day your life would change forever. Well more like tomorrow cause that's when you'll actually meet the prince but today, you'd be moving into the castle and meeting some of the other contestants. 

You waved goodbye to your family. You'd probably see them again soon. You didn't think there was any chance for you to win. A footman took your bags and loaded them into the carriage.

"Be careful with that one!" You pointed to one of your bags "It has glass and chemicals."

He gave you a strange look before handling the bag with extreme care.

You probably shouldn't have packed all that stuff considering how dangerous it could be but danger's fun, right? 

Your cat jumped into your lap and nuzzled up in it.

The carriage ride was long and bumpy. You left at dawn so you planned on sleeping during the ride. It was hard to take a good nap when the ride was so bumpy. You got to the palace just in time for lunch. Your stuff was taken to your room but one of the handmaidens led you to the dining hall for lunch. 

All the other girls were already there. You were the last to arrive. But in your defense, you did live on the edge of Corona, furthest from the palace. Everyone was chatting it up. One girl in a lavender dress with short brown hair came up to you.

"I'm Rapunzel" She said.

"Y/n" You told her.

The girl she was talking to before came over. She had short curly black hair and was wearing a light blue dress. 

She introduced herself, "I'm Cassandra but you can call me Cass. That's what everyone does"

Cass looked a little, how could you word this politely? Cass looked a little out of the prince's age range. Like eight years older than you. Rapunzel looked older too but not as much as Cass. 

"So where are you from?" Rapunzel asked.

"I'm from Old Corona" You replied "Where are you two from?"

Cass answered, "My dad's the captain of the guard so I live here in the palace."

SHE GOT TO LIVE HERE? And not just for the competition? Man, was she lucky.

"I'm from New Corona" Rapunzel answered.

New Corona was almost as bad as a name as Old Corona. Almost.

"So if you live in the palace, have you-"

Cass cut you off, "Yes, I've met the prince. He's a good friend of mine. I honestly don't know why my dad entered me in this stupid competition. The prince is eight years younger than me!"

Did she just call this competition stupid?

"Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I would just rather be doing something else."

You told her, "I know what you mean. My mom entered me into this competition. She says I need to socialize. Pft"

Truth is, your mom was right. You had no friends. Everyone kind of backed away from you. Your inventions and chemical compounds weren't always the safest. At least you had your cat, Hecate. Some people may have called you a crazy cat lady but that wasn't true. You weren't crazy about cats.

"I think lunch is about to start." Rapunzel pointed to all the other girls who were at the table now.

The three of you took the remaining three seats at the table. Cass sat across from you and Rapunzel was next to you.  A girl with long red hair sat next to Cass and across from Rapunzel. Immediately Rapunzel started a conversation with this girl. She said her name was Catalina but you didn't pay much attention to her.

She was pretty quiet as far as you could tell. Rapunzel was pretty much leading their conversation. Your stomach growled. It was time to eat. You had to eat breakfast pretty early so you were starving.

Lunch was served and it was the best meal you've ever had. Not only was the food amazing, you had a fun time chatting with Cass, Rapunzel, and Catalina.

You learned that Rapunzel was four years older than the prince while Catalina was four years younger. You wondered if any of the other girls were closer to your age. Cass was defintely the oldest. The oldest a contestant could be was eight years over the princes's. Catalina was most likely the youngest as four years younger than the prince is the youngest a contestant could be. You were the ideal age, only a few months younger than the prince. You two were the same age, 18.

The prince was still a mystery. The contestants weren't supposed to meet him until tomorrow but Cass already knew him. Some of the other girls didn't seem to like that. Cass didn't tell you anything about the prince even though you asked her a few simple questions. 

After lunch, a hoard of servants came in to take everyone's measurements. A few times during the competition, the remaining girls would be getting gowns made by them specifically for them. You hoped you would be here long enough to get one gown. The rest of the afternoon, all the contestants spent their time  unpacking, washing up, and getting ready for dinner.

Your light brown dress was a little plain for dinner (the king was going to be there so everyone wanted to make a good impression) so you changed into a more formal red dress. The corset you forced yourself to wear was a little tight but you were in this competition and there was no way you weren't going to try. You couldn't let your mom down. She wanted you to do this.

A/N: There will be a part two since Prince Varian didn't make an appearance. I'm thinking of doing a mini series of this. PLEASE comment and let me know what you think. Sorry if this was a little long. I like to read long ones and was really inspired.