chapter 8- Out

Chapter 8- Out

Carl's POV

The bright sunlight seeping through the window woke me up, making me squint before sitting up and stretching.

"Morning Sophie." I said, rubbing my eyes. After no reply I looked over to the chair she was sleeping on and saw that she wasn't there.

I got up and went out of my room, realising her backpack wasn't in the hallway. She couldn't have done a runner, could she? I went to the bathroom and splashed my face with water. I then made my way downstairs and looked for Sophie.

"Hey Daryl. Have you seen Sophie?" I asked him

"No, dude. Why? You want to find your girlfriend?" He said, nudging my shoulder jokingly.

"Shut up. Just because shes around my age doesn't mean I.."

"Okay okay, jokes." He said. Daryl could always tell when I was stressed out.

"Hey. What's up. You seem a little pissed off."

"Oh, sorry. I'm not pissed off, just don't know where Sophie is, that's all." I said, scratching my head.

I walked out into the yard where, thank God, Glenn was chatting to her. She was about to leave by the looks of things. I ran over and they both faced me.

"Hey, Carl. " Sophie said with a smile on her face

"Where are you going?" i asked.

"Only round the front. You can come if you want."

We went through the opening in the gate and moved to the street. I was walking slowly so Sophie grabbed my hand and dragged me, almost pulling me over. We ran to a bunch of cars and Sophie let go of me and crouched down, reaching under a black car. She then lay flat as she pulled something out. It was a bike.

She picked it up and leant against it.
"It's not exactly an item of luxury but gets me from A to B and is five times faster than walkers." Sophie said, looking at her bike.

"Pretty cool. We should go back." I said and she nodded before jumping on her bike and cycling back to the fence. I had to run to catch up. We got through and she parked her bike against a tree near the kitchen entrance.

We then went into the kitchen and got a bowl full of cereal. You don't realise how much you actually love milk until you have to eat bone dry cereal.

"What are we doing today then?" Sophie asked with a mouth full of cereal.

"I  don't know. We'll have to ask dad." I replied. We finished our cereal and went upstairs and I showed Sophie the clean clothes basket in the bathroom airing cupboard. Whenever we got our hands on clothes from runs we brought them back to use. The pond in the garden didn't have animals in there so we used that to wash clothes. She picked out a dark purple zip up hoodie and an old blue aeropostale t-shirt. She shooed me out of the bathroom and changed while I waited outside. While she was changing she began humming which made me smile.

She eventually came out and did jazz hands, while I applauded jokingly.

"Suits you." I said, walking into the bathroom. I picked out a black t-shirt and a blue and white plaid shirt.

After I had finished, we both went out and into the garden, where dad was doing perimeter checks.

"Hey, you two. Do you mind helping me with the perimeter check. Just kill off oncoming walkers through the fence. Use knives not guns please." dad said.

"Sure" Sophie said and we got to work.

This became our daily routine and It gave my wrist time to recover while I was in a safe place. I liked this cabin. We had only been here for a month, but I could for once call somewhere home.