chapter 43- Burned

chapter 43- Burned

Sophie's POV

I woke up hearing a crackling noise and felt something drop onto my head. I opened my eyes and began to cough.

I could barely see anything because the room was filled with thick black smoke. I looked around and saw an orange coloured blur which spread across the floor and up the wall, touching the ceiling.

"Oh shit." I cursed to myself, standing up, covering my mouth and coughing more.

I had started a fire. I thought the match had burned out. Obviously not.

"Carl." I said, shaking his shoulder as he snored softly. "Carl, wake up!" I called, coughing again.

"Huh? What's going on...oh my God." He said, sitting up, before coughing like me.

"We've got to get out, before we can't." he said, remaining calm. He was right...the flames were starting to spread to the exit. It was only a pile of old junk. How could it get this bad?

"DAD!" Carl called, between coughs looking around for Rick.

"RICK WHERE ARE YOU?!" I shouted too, my voice straining from all of the smoke I was inhaling.

"There." I said and we ran towards Rick. He was still sleeping. The smoke had obviously gotten to him now, making him unconscious.

"We'll have to drag him out." Carl said, holding his hat infront of his nose so he didn't breathe in as much smoke. I looked back to see where the flames had got to. They were spreading across the ceiling and along the floor, close to our bags.

"Come on, Soph, help me." Carl said, making me turn back. The weak plaster on the ceiling was crumbling and large cracks were appearing.

"The ceiling could go any minute." I said worried to Carl and he nodded, putting his hat back on and grabbing Rick by an arm.

I grabbed his other arm and we began to pull through, trying our best to avoid bumping into things. That was difficult because we could barely see through the thick black smoke.

I looked at the flames. They were getting dangerously close to my bag.

Oh God. I thought. My bag had a shitload of flammable stuff in it.

Three cans of deoderant
gunpowder bullets
Moonshine

My eyes widened as I watched the flames touch my bag.

"SHIT!" Was the last thing I said before the bag violently went up in flames, throwing us back.
The flames were now ten times worse and the ceiling was crumbling a lot more.

"Carl? CARL WHERE ARE YOU?" I shouted, trying to look through the smoke.

Rick was still laying on the floor, unconscious and then I saw Carl. He was leaning against the wall with his hat on the floor next to him. I ran over, dodging a massive flame and picked his hat up. I put it on my head quickly and shook Carl.

"Wake the hell up, Carl. We've gotta go!" I yelled in his face. I hesitated for a second, before slapping my hand hard across his face.

"THE FUCK" he shouted, snapping awake.

"Carl, come on, look at the ceiling." I said, panicked. The ceiling above him was crumbling quickly.

He got up, rubbing his head.

I turned and started walking back to Rick. It was getting really hard to stay focused now. It was incredibly difficult to breathe.

When I was almost back to Rick, I heard a massive yelp from Carl and then crashes. I whipped my head round, quickly and saw nothing but dust, debris and rubble, everywhere. The ceiling had fallen on top of Carl.