chapter 35- Blood

chapter 35- Blood

Sophie's POV

"HE DID WHAT?" Rick boomed as Carl told him what happened to me back with Howard.

"Dad...DAD listen." Carl said, standing up. "I know it's... evil and disgusting what happened to her, but I feel the same way. I had to f*cking watch it happen. If I could have, I would have stopped him doing it...but..I-"

"But...but what? Hey, Carl? She could be pregnant or...or worse." Glenn said.

"He...he used...prot-...protection." I said, looking at them, laying on the couch. "Pl...please. C..can we stop...talking about..what..happened. It's not Carl's fault...stop..stop shouting at him." I struggled to speak, feeling something building up in my throat.

I suddenly couldn't breath and my eyelids began to flutter as I silently choked.

"Sophie?" Jack said, rushing over to me. He pinched my nose and I opened my mouth, spluttering droplets of blood onto the wooden floor.

I eventually stopped.

"Are you ok?" Maggie asked me.

I nodded. "I need water." I stuttered.

"We're all out." Jack said.

"Jack, Glenn, are you ok to come find water with me?" Rick said. They nodded.

"You ok here?" Glenn asked Maggie and Carl.

"Yeah. I'll look after Judy and Alex." Maggie said.

"mhmm" Carl said. "I've got about five bullets left in my gun, just in case."

Glenn kissed Maggie and Alex, Rick told Carl to be safe, and then they left, and we re-barricaded the door. Alex started crying. "I'm going to go upstairs and feed Alex. You ok, down here?"

"Yeah. Judy, do you want to go up too? I saw some toys in the landing." Carl said to Judith. She nodded, and followed Maggie up the stairs.

"Everything hurts." I muttered, staring at the ceiling.

"I'm sorry, Sophie." Carl said, sitting on the floor next to me.

"Why...are you..sorry?"

"Because I couldn't do anything to help you. I just sat and watched it happen. I didn't even try."

"It doesn't... matter. I'm... getting... better."

Carl gave me a look. "No." He said, sternly.

"No you're obviously not getting better. You can't walk, you can barely move and now? Now you're spitting blood all over the place. Can you not understand? YOU'RE DYING, SOPHIE." He was scaring me.

"Carl...stop I ca-" I couldn't breathe again. Blood was sticking to my throat, making me unable to intake air.

"You must think you're f*cking invincible. All the shit you've gone through, you must think you can survive through anything! But that's not tr-" He saw me struggling. "Soph? What...What's the matter?"

I obviously coudln't answer and he started panicking, unsure of what to do. I opened my mouth and a mixture of blood and saliva seeped out and leaked down my cheek. "Oh my God. MAGGIE!" Within seconds Maggie came running down the stairs, holding AC.

"Quick, Carl, take Alex." She said, and rolled up her sleeves. She sat me up and I coughed up the blood, into the bowl which Maggie put on my lap. I finished and wiped my mouth with my sleeve. I leant against the arm of the couch, holding myself up.

"Why...am I coughing up...so much..blood?" I asked, starting to cry.

"You got beaten up very badly. You're insides got several good hits to them...the blood is just clearing out your system. It's not nice, but will stop soon." She smiled, sympathetically then took Alex back off of Carl.

"Soph...I..." He started. I just stared at the floor. "I'm sorry." He said, before walking behind the couch and moving the bookcase, slamming the door.

"Carl!" I cried out behind him but it was too late. He was gone.

Carl's POV

I walked out, slamming the door and travelled to God knows where. I walked for about half an hour until I got deep into the forest and sat by a massive tree trunk, leaning against it. I took off my hat and ran my hand through my long hair. My life is such a f*ck up. I thought to myself. I couldn't stop myself from crying. I pulled my knees up to my chest and soon enough felt the knees of my jeans becoming damp from my tears.

I heard rustling in the distance and looked through the trees to see what the noise was. It was a walker. I had left my gun on the table back at the house, but I was past caring. I watched as it fumbled towards me. I just sat still, continuing to cry, angrily.

"COME ON THEN YOU BASTARD!" I yelled towards it.

I stood up. "I'M RIGHT F*CKING HERE!"

It carried on moving until it was only centimeters away from me. It reached out and grabbed my shoulder, pulling me tpwards it's open mouth.

I closed my eyes, expecting it to sink it's teeth into my flesh but it didn't. I opened my eyes and saw an arrow in it's head as it lay dead on the ground next to me. I looked towards where the arrow came from and saw Daryl, closely followed by Michonne, Carol and a girl.

"Carl?" Michonne said, before running up to me and hugging me.

"Why didn't you just let it bite me?" I said with a croaky voice.

"Because you'd die...obviously." Daryl said, pulling the arrow out of the walker's head and putting it back into the arrow holder.

"Carl, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Michonne asked me, cupping my face in her hands.

"I've had enough of everything." I said.

"Tell me what happened. Why do you have a black eye?" She questioned.

"Remember that research place we were taken to like a year ago?" I started, wiping my eyes. They nodded.

"The guy who we left to die...Howard... he didn't die. Him...and Jamie...They took Judith and Sophie and tied them up. Then they got me."

"You all got out, right?" Daryl asked.

"Let him finish, Daryl." Carol said.

"They said I had to choose who to save. Sophie told me to pick Judith so I did. Then they forced us to watch her get beaten up, really badly...and then he..he-"

"He what?" Michonne asked me.

"He raped her." I said as another freaking tear rolled down my cheek. "When he stopped...I called him stuff and then he beat me up. She went and almost killed Sophie but that's when Dad, Glenn, Maggie and Jack came in."

"Jack?" Daryl said.

"Sophie's cousin. We met him on the road. Those two were killed and we left."

"Wait, so you're all ok? Why the tears?"

"Okay? You really think we're...she's okay, after that? I mean, fuck! She almost died. She got raped for Christ sake. Raped. And it's all my fucking fault. I let it happen. I watched. I did nothing." I clenched my jaw and narrowed my eyes, trying to hold in my tears.
"Sophie can barely move and she keeps spitting out blood. She's exhausted and we can't stay where we are forever. I went outside to get some air while Dad Jack and Glenn went to find water." I remembered what I did, and said to Sophie and knew I needed to apologize.
"We've got to go back." I said, quieter. "I said some...some horrible things. And I-" my eyes widened as I remember what I did.

"Oh...shit!" I said and began running.

"Carl, wait!" Michonne said as they chased after me. I remembered, I had moved the bookcase.

Walkers could easily get into the house.

__________

A/n

Ok, you're probably fed up of Carl crying and being an arsehole by now...but in this situation, wouldn't you??

Thank you for your ongoing support. Ily !!!