chapter 39- Remaining

Sophie's POV

Glenn had been acting really awkward for the past couple of days. He'd been a lot quiter than usual and kept running his hand through his hair- only a thing he seems to do when he's nervous or stressed out about something.

We had been on the road for over a week now, still looking for a place to stay inside. We had been camping out in temporary places- in clearings or old houses by the forest. We had stayed in the woods, because we had good cover in there and it was easy to outrun walkers if we had to. Apart from today.

"Look, ahead there." Jack said, pointing ahead of us. There was what looked like a shopping mall. "We'll go and see if it's safe to stay in overnight." Rick said. It wasn't fenced so even if it was safe, now, it wouldn't always be.

After about ten minutes of more walking, we got there and went inside. Glenn pulled up the metal cover, protecting the glass doors and we crouched down and went inside, one by one as he held it open.

"Okay, Michonne, Carl, Daryl, Carol and Judith with me, and Maggie, Sophie, Jack and Anna and of course, Alex with Glenn." Rick said. "You know what to do. We'll meet by that fountain over there in an hour." We all nodded and Carl kissed my cheek before we separated.

We walked up the broken escalators while the rest of the group searched downstairs. We walked into the first store, infront of us. Glenn went first, holding his gun up and then Jack, Anna, Me then Maggie, who was holding AC.

He was fast asleep in the baby carrier, so that made the job a lot easier. We looked around, it was practically empty. Maggie, Jack and I sat down and had some water. Maggie fed Alex who had just woken up and Jack rubbed his eyes, before getting up.

There were a couple of walkers which headed in our direction. Glenn stabbed one and Jack the other. Afterwards I saw another walker come up behind Anna.

"Anna!" I shouted and she turned quickly. Glenn, who was standing next to her, looked at the walker, hesitantly before stabbing it. As the knife went through it's head, it cut Anna's arm a little.

"OW! What the F*CK , Glenn. You could so easily of killed that! God. First my sister, now you're out to kill me, too."

"Wh-how-who told you?" He stammered, wide eyed.

"Yeah. I know. I was told everything." She said, running over to the gun on the floor which Glenn had put down,and picking it up.

"Hey....that's mine." He said "What are you doing?" She held the gun up and clicked the safety off.

I stood up and walked in-between them. "Anna, It's my fault she's dead. Not Glenn's. Leave him alone."

"Oh, trust me. I know that too. If it wasn't for you, she wouldn't have been driven to trying to kill you. The whole f*cking world seems to revolve around you." She said, walking towards me, holding the gun up still.

"Woah, hey. It's nothing to do with Sophie. I'm the one that shot her. Not Soph. Leave her out of this." Glenn said, courageously but also scared at the same time.

Anna walked towards me and pushed me out of the way, onto the floor.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Maggie said, standing up. Anna quickly turned and pointed the gun towards her.

"Don't you dare." Anna said and Maggie moved back.

It's fine Glenn mouthed towards Maggie. He stood with his hands up.

"You killed my fifteen year old sister." Anna seethed.

"She tried to kill my son and Sophie." Glenn replied.

"But she didn't, did she? So you have nothing to say."

"Anna, put the gun down." Jack said, nervously.

"Shut up, Jack. I've lost my whole f*cking family. I had that one spec of hope left in me- the hope that Jamie would survive- and you-" She began to cry, angrily "YOU KILLED HER."

Alex started crying. "Now I'm going to teach you a freaking lesson.

"Anna, STOP." Jack yelled, getting up.

"GO TO HELL YOU BASTARD." Anna shouted towards Glenn before closing her eyes and squeezing the trigger of the gun.

We all closed our eyes at the loud shot of the gun and I heard a yell and a thud.

I opened my eyes slowly. Glenn was lying on the floor, with a bullet hole to his shoulder. She had missed any lethal spot.

I thought everything was ok until I looked infront of Glenn's unconscious body and saw Jack, standing, with his hands on his chest. Blood began seeping through his grey shirt and onto his shaking hands.

"JACK!" I yelled as he dropped to the floor , his eyes wide open. I ran over to him and knelt down, holding his head up onto my lap.

"Jack...you're ok. You're gonna be fine." I stammered as tears poured out of my eyes and rolled down my face.

He smiled a little.

"Always the optimist." He laughed and I smiled a little through my tears.

"Take care of everyone, Soph. They're good people."

"No...I mean...I will...but Jack, no.you can't leave me. Please."

"I can't hold on for much longer." He said and shifted uncomfortably.

"Please. Just a little." I begged, sniffling, stroking his dark blonde hair.

"I'll try." I hugged him and felt him hug me back, squeezing me tight.
"Stay strong." He whispered to me before I felt his hug loosen.

I eventually let go, knowing that he could turn any minute. I gently placed his head ontp the floor before kissing his forehead. His blood had spread onto my shirt through his, but I didn't care.

My eyes were blurry from tears and I was sniffling a lot as I felt around my holster for my knife. I pulled it out and held it next to the temple of his head , shaking.

My hand shook uncontrollably as I cried. I suddenly felt a hand go over mine and looked behind me. It was Carl. He said nothing but instead took the knife off of me.

"I heard a gunshot. I'll do it, babe." He whispered.

I got up and wiped my eyes. I saw Maggie kneeling over Glenn and Anna standing in total shock.

I pulled my gun out of my holster and held it towards Anna as she stared at me.

"He was the LAST F*CKING PERSON ALIVE IN MY FAMILY." I shrieked, wrapping my finger around the trigger. My hands shook again as I was about to pull the trigger.

Then I saw Maggie jump up and shoot her, quickly right through the head. I dropped my gun and fell to my knees, beginning to splutter  with tears again and Carl came up behind me, hugging me tightly.

Glenn was unlikely to survive without medical supplies, Jack was dead and I was out of family. How was I supposed to stay strong?

__________

A/n

*tears*

Ik Jack wasn't a big part...but still.

Comment reactions!!
Ly all x

-Imogen xx