chapter 38- Told

chapter 38- Told

"No...what? How do you know?" I asked Sophie, confused.

"She..was telling me about her younger sister and said her name was Jamie." Sophie said, with her hand on her head.

"But...it might not be the same Jamie."

"Carl, look at her. She looks just the same."

I could tell it was her. I guess I was just trying to distract my mind from Jamie.

"Just...try not to think about it. keep quiet, don't say anything and think of her as a completely different person." I said and gave her a hug.

"Are you two ok?" Anna asked us as we walked back over to the group.

"Huh? oh, yeah. Um. Soph just felt a bit sick, that's all." I said, not able to look at her in the face.

"Oh. Ok." She smiled and sat back down with Jack. I couldn't not tell Glenn about it. What is she did ever find out? I can't risk someone blurting out what happened with Jamie, without knowing the potential consequences.

After about an hour we continued walking. Sophie was holding Alex while talking to Maggie so I went over to Glenn.

"What's up?" I asked him. He looked at me and smiled awkwardly.

"Are...you ok, Carl? You seem a little tense." He said, looking at me.

"I'm...fine." I said. Glenn looked at me and raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Uh. Ok. You have to keep this quiet, ok?" I said.

"Oh-kay..." Glenn said, slowly.

"You know Anna..." He nodded. "She's Jamie's..." I exhaled quickly. As soon as I mentioned Jamie, his head snapped in my direction. "She's her sister. But be quiet. She doesn't know about her...you know, what she did." I said, making sure Anna was still quite far away. She was.

"Oh...shit." Was all Glenn said, running his hand through his hair, before scratching his neck.

"Just...keep quiet. Nothing will happen." I said and patted his back. 

***

A day and a half passed and we were still walking through the forest. There was good cover and we still had quite a bit of water left- but we were running out of food. We stopped again.

"Dad, I'll go and look for food, if you want." I said to dad as my stomach rumbled.

"Okay. But stay safe. Make sure your gun is loaded, but try to use your knife instead, if you have to."

I hugged Sophie and Judith, picked up my bag, and then left.

"Whoa, wait up." I heard Anna running up behind me. "I wanna come. I can tell the difference between edible and poisonous berries." She said, flicking her hair, jokingly.

"Ok,  but keep up." I said.

We walked further into the woods and eventually came across an area filled with fruit trees. I looked suspiciously towards Anna, making sure she wasn't going to do anything that would make me lash out at her. When I saw that she was sitting on a tree stump, sharpening her knife, I began to climb up the tree infront of me, which had some apples growing up in the branches.

I got to the top and sat on a thick branch, reaching forward to pick off some nearby apples. I picked about three before calling down to Anna.

"Hey, can you catch these and put them in my bag?" I turned around and saw her just staring at me. "Erm...Anna." She still didn't reply. I got the apples and put them in my hat, which I held under my arm. I started climbing down the tree with my hat under my arm but when I got halfway down, I dropped my hat along with the apples. Anna saw but just twisted her sharpened knife into the tree stump and still didnt move. I jumped off of the bottom of the tree.