chapter 10- Brutally Honest

Chapter 10- Brutally Honest

SOPHIE'S P.O.V.

I woke up with blurred vision, sweating and had a severe pain in my stomach. I looked at it and all I could see was Maggie holding a needle and looking carefully at my stomach. She stuck it in near my stab wound, thinking I was still asleep, and I screamed in pain. She jumped, quickly pulling it out, along with the thread which pulled through my open wound. I was uncontrolably screaming, pleading for the pain to stop.

Carl and Glenn were sitting next to me, trying to calm me down. I eventually passed out from the amount of pain as Maggie tried stitching my wound up without hurting me too much- which obviously wasn't happening.

CARL'S P.O.V.

After Sophie had passed out again I left the room to get some water. I was exhausted. The clock in the living room said 2:13am and I yawned, stretching. Watching her crying in pain was awful. That must have been what it was like for mom and dad when I was shot almost six years ago. Wow. six years.
When she was screaming she looked at me as if to say "please stop her. Put me out of my misery."

Soph told me the other day when we were washing clothes that it was her birthday on the seventh of February. That was today, according to my watch...well I guess yesterday now. What a shitty birthday she had had.

I needed to do something to help make today more birthday-like for her, but I didn't know what. Then I remembered that she took her bike to the village and that Leon dick who did that to her took her bag too. Her bag which contains 6 knives, a gun and thirty odd bullets. I could get that back, I thought. I guess that would make her happy. That guy couldn't have gone far. She was only out for about 3 hours before we found her so he could still be close, he may even have a base near the high street. I went outside in the pitch black and freezing cold to the water pump, which was insulated so it didn't freeze up, and drank some to quench my dry mouth.

After taking a drink, I went back inside and picked up my jacket and put it on. I went upstairs and kissed Sophie softly on the cheek, hoping that she was going to be okay and began to go downstairs, only to be stopped by Glenn, walking upstairs with a bowl full of soup.

"Carl, shouldn't you be in bed?" he said, sort of jokingly.

"Yeah, but I uh..can't sleep. I need to wander around a bit."

"I can almost see the smoke coming off your burning pants. Seriously dude, where are you going? It's like half two.", he replied blocking my way.

"I can't tell you Glenn. Look, just tell me where my dad is, please."

"he's asleep, like everyone else. I got hungry so got this," he lifted up his bowl."You need to go to sleep. There's perimeter checks in the morning and we've got double to do because Sophie ob-"

"I'm going to get her bike and bag from the highstreet." I cut Glenn off, getting impatient.

"Carl, that's crazy! you can't go on your own, it's way too dangerous out there." Glenn Whispered loudly.

I rolled my eyes. "Ok. I won't go. But you remember her sad face when she asks where her bike is." I stood still on the stairs and leant on the wall, letting Glenn pass by me. He began to walk back towards his room and he looked at me, suspiciously and said "She's a fighter you know. She'll be fine." then shook his head as I smiled at him. I walked back into our room and stared at Sophie.

"Bullshit." I whispered to myself and crept out again.

I put my gun in my holster belt and a machete and straight back, just to be sure. I went out the back entrance trying to make as little noise as possible.