chapter 5- Questions

Chapter 5- Questions

I followed Maggie and Glenn downstairs and into the kitchen where i was met by Rick, Daryl (the guy with the crossbow), Michonne and some others who didn't introduce themselves.

"Right. I'm gonna ask you three questions which you have to answer truthfully."

"Uhh, okay." I said, confused, feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

"Sit 'ere." Said Daryl, pointing at a wooden chair. I sat there and twiddled my thumbs.

"First question. How many walkers have you killed?"

I thought for a second before looking up at him, furrowing my eyebrows. "The...the things?" As his eyes continued to glare into mine I knew I was correct. "Uh...I don't count them...I mean...whenever one gets in my way, It's only common sense to kill it."

He glanced at the ground, nodding to himself slightly. "How many people have you killed?"

I took a deep breath, hesitating again. "Three...three people."

At this point Carl walked in with pink tinted eyes, as if he'd been crying. He stared at me, slightly clenching his jaw when we met eye contact, and then to the floor.

"Why?"

I stared at Carl, feeling somewhat guilty. He must have gone through some pretty tough shit himself.

"Hey, Kid. Answer the question." Daryl said, stepping in front of Carl so I was now looking directly at him. His narrowed eyes made me feel incredibly intimidated so I shuffled uncomfortably in the chair. I looked at the floor as I thought about my answer.

"Well...I...my parents...my dad was bitten and...my mum was weak and couldn't go on. They wanted me to."

"And the other?"

"My sister...Emma. She...she fell down...down a hole in the middle of the forest. I...think it was a sort of...biter trap. There were...spikes at the bottom of it."
I cleared the growing lump from my throat and tried my best to blink back the forming tears in my eyes.
"It was a long fall...and she landed on a wooden spike. It went..."
I stopped.

"It went right through her stomach." A single tear escaped my eye and I felt it trickle its way down my cheek.

"She was asking me to get her out but I couldn't. She didn't realise the state she was in," Another tear rolled down my cheek...then another.

"She looked confused when I got my gun out...I think the blood loss...made her delirious. She started to drift off and when her eyes finally closed i pulled the trigger. I haven't used my gun since."

I sat still, only hearing the quiet patter of tears as they landed on my filthy jeans.

"Well ," said Rick after a long silence, "That's part one done."

"There's more?" I asked, wiping away my tears, clearing my throat again.

"Mmhm" Carl mumbled. I could see a smirk form on his face. Are they going to hurt me?  I thought as I got told to stand up by Rick.

They took me back down to the basement, Rick in front, Daryl and Glenn behind. As we walked to the centre of the room, Rick pointed at the same beam I was tied to last night. I looked at him.

"Go. Over there." I turned back to Glenn- the only person who was making me feel any form of comfort right now. He gave me a small, reassuring nod and I walked over to the post.

Rick pulled out something from his back pocket- rope. I looked at Glenn again, but this time he wasn't looking at me. "Arms." Rick said bluntly and I began to feel a little panicked. Was this some sort of trap?