ⅩⅤ. The Sorting Hat Has Chosen

SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR THE BURNING MAZE CONCERNING JASON. I'VE ITALICED THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH SO FEEL FREE TO SKIP IT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ TOA YET

 I'VE ITALICED THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH SO FEEL FREE TO SKIP IT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ TOA YET

━━━━━━━☆Percy☆━━━━━━━

"Firs'-years! Firs'-years over here!" I can't say I've ever met a friendly half giant but I guess Hagrid was special.

"C'mon, follow me – any more firs'-years? Mind yer step, now!Firs'-years follow me!" Slipping and stumbling, me and a bunch of eleven year olds followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. I really didn't fit in, one of them asked me if I was a prefect helping escort them.

"Oh course I'm not perfect. No one is perfect." That warranted a few weird glances but in my defense, I had no idea what he was talking about. I really thought he said perfect. What the Kronos even is a prefect anyway? Hermione probably told me about it but what she says mostly goes in one ear and out the other.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

There was a loud "Oooooh!" I think I may have oohed too, more in surprise than actual admiration. After all, buildings weren't really my thing. That was more of an Annabeth thing.

The narrow path had opened on to the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers. I wish I could use a phone, Annabeth would really have loved this.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. I didn't know anyone so I just lumped myself in with the tallest sixth graders I could find.

"Everyone in"' shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself, "Right then, FORWARD!" As if by magic, the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Wait, it actually was magic. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over us as we sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

I tried to put my hand into the water, get a feel of what I would have to work with in case Voldemort attacked, but I stopped when the kids started whispering about me. Okay Jessica, we get it. You have daddy issues, that doesn't give you a reason to be a Gaea. Anyway, I can hear you! You ain't slick.

I said all this in my head obviously. Wow, kids these days really were something else.

"Heads down!" Hagrid yelled as we approached the cliffs. I was too busy watching the water, what can I say, I'm a true son of Poseidon. Anyway, I got hit smack dab in the forehead and would have fallen overboard if it hadn't been for my demigodly survival tactics. I felt a little but too much like my bro Jason.

You guys know Jason right? Yeah, he keeps getting hit by bricks. We couldn't go a week aboard the Argo II without him unconscious. I bet he's lying somewhere unconscious right now! (Little did I know then that my best friend was lying in his grave, but we'll get to that later)