28. •Δ Inheritance Δ•

Everybody Lies - Jason Walker

Everybody lies, lies, lies.

It's the only truth sometimes.

Doesn't matter if it's out there somewhere waiting for the world to find.

Or buried deep inside. Everybody lies.

I woke up around 4 AM wrapped in Axel's warmth, his breathing was fanning on my head

I woke up around 4 AM wrapped in Axel's warmth, his breathing was fanning on my head. I kiss his chin and untangled myself from him. Unable to drift back to sleep, I decided to make a cup of coffee. Hoping they wouldn't mind me intruding. On my way down the stairs, I smell something burning, like coffee.

In the kitchen, I found Mom, leaning against the counter, her coffee was burning but she is in some other place. I jogged down to turn it off and switched on the chimney to get the smokey stench out.

"Go sit mom, I'll make something for us." I tell her, she didn't eat well last night either. So I quickly made some eggs for both of us.

"Arianna I...."

"Don't mom, please. I think it's time we stop apologizing for others' mistakes. What happened.. happened. You can't blame yourself." I said.

"He is my son, Of course, I am..." She said holding her head in her hands.

"So is Axel..." I cut her again and eyes darted up to me."And he turned out to be great. Liam will come around too, Mom." I assure her and made her eat. We ate our breakfast in silence for a while, "I'm sorry, mom. Axel and I acted like we were in love. We lied to you. But we are good now, we are giving us a chance." I tell her.

"I knew something was up, But never in my wildest dreams, I would have thought of this. I am happy for you. Can you... Can you tell me about your parents?" She asked reluctantly.

I smile and tell her about my parents. The things I have learnt from Mr Finley and those who had visited the place before.

*****

It was Sunday, the next day. We all woke up late. When we came down for a brunch. Matthew and Axel charged for the newspaper. Mom and I rolled our eyes. Their expressions turned stoic for a moment, without saying anything Axel handed me the paper.

On the headlines was written, 'Marion Bell announces splits with her husband, amidst fraudulent rumours.' It read.

The article did not say much about the fraud claims. It only wrote about Marion's previous marriages and alleged affairs.

"I did not get time to tell you, Arianna. Brandon lied to you. There is no partner. Mr Finley told me your father is the sole owner, and you inherited it when you turned 18. He was playing you. I don't know why..." he said ruefully.