27. •Δ Mask Unveiled Δ•

Ben Platt - Grow As We Go

If to change is what you need

You can change right next to me

When you're high, I'll take the lows

You can ebb and I can flow

Two days later, I received a brief call from mom to invite us for dinner

Two days later, I received a brief call from mom to invite us for dinner. She was not her usual cheery self. I wonder if she thinks Axel really did it. I didn't tell him about the gnawing feeling I had. First, his father's cold behavior and now this. If I tell him that his mother is also behaving distant, he will lose it.

He looks genuinely happy when he works with me, but I have also seen him read the business magazines during his breaks. He grounds his morsels when he sees a red mark going down on the news and takes a breath of relief watching the numbers change in the shares market. The longing in his claws at my heart. He misses that life. He had wanted to become a businessman. I can't even imagine what I would do if the cafe was taken from me.

I push aside the website development I have been reviewing on my laptop for the cafe and watch him button up his shirt to get ready to go to his parent's house. He looks like a giant in my tiny place. Every time his toes collide with the boxes and he hisses in pain, my heart aches for him. He is not used to this life. He is a tough guy, but he had lived in luxury for so long, even overcoming the tiniest inconvenience is an enormous achievement for him. He had studied at an elite boarding school. He hasn't lived in a cardboard box of a room in the hostel like me.

When he bent down in front of the mirror to do his hair, I approach him and take the brush from his hand, "I made some low-fat cookies, I am bringing them too." I tell him, making him sit on the couch to style his hair the way I like.

"I am sorry, Arianna. But I don't think they would take anything from us. I am sorry your relationship with my mother got strained because of me." He sighed in defeat, burying his head in my torso.