27. •Δ Mask Unveiled Δ•

Start from the beginning

"What are talking about. How could..." I begin to say, raking my hand in his hair. I tried to hide my croaking voice, but couldn't.

He wrapped his hand around me and tugged me to sit on his lap. I had no other option but to look at him. He watched my watery eyes and smiled. "I saw that look on your face, sweetheart. You practically jump up and down like a 3-year-old every time you talk to her." I remain quiet.

"You did nothing wrong. Let's hope for the best." I whisper and kiss him.

☆★☆★☆

There was no warm welcome for us at their mansion. The place didn't give me the homely vibes. And dinner was the worst. It felt like we were having an official meeting, giving precise answers to their irrelevant question. What made me hurt the most was they were not even meeting our eyes. I want to cry and shout that we have done nothing wrong and they should stop treating us like criminals. All the while, my hand remained in Axel's lap, to calm him or myself. I don't know.

Minutes passed by and none of us say anything. I refrained myself so many times from speaking my mind. But I finally say, "We should get going. Thank you for having us."

" No Arianna, wait." Matthew Knight said. We sat back for another moment, playing with the desserts on our plates.

The doorbell rang, from the corner of my eyes I saw mom shudder. I didn't know we were having company.

Liam Knight came with a real smile plastered on his face. His blue eyes twinkled when he saw Axel and I. Axel's muscles tensed. I saw his hand twitch, and I immediately held his hand to avoid casualties.

"Mom, Dad. How was the trip?" he said with so much energy. He knows a drama is about to unfold and he is in for the ride.

"It was perfect, Liam. After all, you planned everything." Mom said in a sarcastic tone, Liam was too happy to notice it.

"Come on, sit." Matthew said harshly, his face fuming red with anger. Something is really wrong.

"So tell us how you planned everything" Matthew asked, propping his elbow on his legs.

"I can't take the full credit. I had help too. Right, Axel." Liam chuckled and waited for him to say something, but Axel remained quiet. Then he gave me a cheeky smile, but I rolled my eyes shifted my gaze from him.

"I am not talking about the trip, Son." Elizabeth said, her tone detached from all emotions.

"I don't understand." Liam feigned innocence, but he doesn't look confident.

"Explain in detail. How you made William cheat on the books. How you asked the Chinese, Xi that's the name right? Your classmate in high school. How did you do that." Mom asked. Her chin trembled, but her eyes remained stoic.

"Xi.. Umm yeahhh ... he fooled me too. I invested because I trusted him. He broke my trust." Liam looks even more confident now. But he just came up with the lie.

"Let me ask you a different question, then. Why?" Mom stood up, and Matthew came by her side ".... Why did you do it, Liam? Was this your way to repay the man you took us in? By destroying his company, his son's future." Mom rasped, her eyes watering.

"No mom, you reading it all wrong." Liam chuckled like we were misunderstanding him.

"SHUT. UP. Shut up, Liam. I am tired of listening to your lies, pinning your faults on Axel, framing him for every single thing you do. I am tired, Liam, I am tired ." She screamed... Her voice became hoarse. The bile in my throat is growing. I latch to Axel as we are still sitting down.