21

Mari's POV

"They really love each other," I chuckle as I carry the paper bag we picked up from that shop. I just had a glimpse of the jewelry when they were putting it in a box. It was a charm bracelet with their initials on it, I mean, the whole Blackpink. That's when I realized it's a gift from all three of them to aunt Chaey.

"Reason why we all still gather regularly, don't you think?" Z stated as I felt his hand on my back as he gently guides me back to his car.

Every step we make, we see a lot of people following our movements. There were a lot of people inside the shop and at one point, I was sure a few of them have recognized us because I heard our parent's name being uttered every now and then.

"So..." Z took the bag from me before grabbing my hand, intertwining them along the process. I look at him sideways, the erratic beating of my heart making it a little hard for me to focus.

We also bought Elle a present. It was a ring covered with her birthstones. Z bought the ring so I bought the necklace so she can use it as a pendant too. I'm going to ask Latch to pay me half though just because I want to piss him off. He has a huge sum of allowance anyway. He takes money from mom and dad. I don't use the card mom gave me because I love using my Dad's. Mom's happy about it though. Apparently, she gets so happy seeing Dad groan whenever he receives messages of billing transactions on his phone.

"What do you want to eat?" he asked.

We were walking side by side, all eyes were still on us as we take the side of the street. It was a busy district and cars are not allowed. There were so many stores and salons, I can't even remember the last time I went out to shop.

I was too busy with school and the only free time I had, I spend with my friends. I almost laugh as I remember how Z and I went on a trip and now we're walking hand in hand like this. It's just so ironic for me.

"I'm craving for fast food, or some burger and chips?" I told him. He leans a little and brushed my hair to the side and smiled. My heart skipped a bit with his simple gesture. It's not something he did spontaneously, or something unusual because he's usually like that even before, but for some reason, it was a different kind of shit in my heart. My heart fluttered, ge'ez.

I've been feeling so weird lately. I mean, I was used to the attention I was getting since I was a kid. Of course, I am a Jeon, it's not something new. But ever since I found out Z's feelings, ever since I realized I'm feeling something that's more than just being a childhood friend with him, I feel like every eye on us, every stare, it holds a different kind of interpretation now. And I'm not used to that. I'm not used to people looking at us as if they knew something is different.

We entered a busy fast-food chain. People, some in formal attire while some seemed to be just hanging around were eating, most so loudly that I actually considered asking Z that we just go find another place. But I took a quick glance at that lady's burger and I can feel my mouth watering.

'Fuck it, let's eat here," I whispered. I heard Z chuckled and when I turned my attention to him, he kinda looked, more at ease.

I gulped.

"Why?" I asked out of nervousness. Ge'ez, why am I always nervous now? This is just Z for Pete's sake!

"Well, you kinda looked like a different person lately. Like, you're trying to be a little distant and suppressing yourself," he scratched the back of his head, 'Hearing you cursing makes me remember the Marigold that I know,"

My lips parted at his words. So he noticed?

He turned his attention to me. "Mari, just because I finally confessed and you already knew that I love you doesn't mean I'm not the same person anymore. This is still me. I told you I will still be your best friend, that won't change. But I will also be your boyfriend from now on, and I don't want you to think that you can no longer act the same with me. You can be you, baby..."

"Yahhh," I tried stopping him as I feel my cheeks blushing. All these people around us keep giving us side glances even though we were simply standing on a corner.

"People will hear you," I told him and he just smiled.

"Fuck them, Mari. My eyes can see only you. You can tease me like how you used to. You can say anything you want in front of me, I won't mind. So please, be the same Mari, my sweet, yet fierce Marigold that I know,"

He then pulled me closer giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"Oh God," I muttered. He wants me to act the same as before but he's just here speaking all mushy and doing their sweet shits that just melts my heart.

How do I act the same?

"By the way, we're technically not yet together. I thought you're gonna be courting me but you keep on kissing me like that. Isn't that too much?" I snickered.

He pulled away from me a little and I felt one of his arms wrapping around my waist. "Do you want me to stop then?" he asked.

My lips immediately puckered and I had to groan internally for a second.

God, why is this so hard?

"No, don't stop or I'll kill you," I rolled my eyes and he chuckled. "And you're my boyfriend now because I won't ever let you go. But I guess you still have to court me every day because I'm adorable just like that,"

An amused smile escaped his lips and before I knew what he's about to do, he already tilted his head and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

"Of course, baby. I will court you for the rest of our lives and not even you can make me stop,"

My pulse quickened at the mention of our future together. I didn't know he's prepared that advance.

We ended up buying two burgers and a large fries. He also bought a pasta which they thankfully have and I had orange juice.

We were just there, minding our own business, staring at each other for the whole world to see.

And I guess I understood what he was talking about and what was wrong.

I get so anxious about us because we were best friends so that made me act differently. But then again, he's still the same Z that I know and this is still me. What changed is that we just love each other now more than just being friends.

I was still a little scared that something may go wrong but heck, I'd rather take that risk than lose him now.