13

Mari's POV

Hiding my face using my right hand, I smiled awkwardly to Lennox, who, in the entire period we were together, kept staring at my face which made me really uncomfortable. Not to mention the weird stares we keep getting from the students passing by. 

So, after he asked me if he can court me, I wasn't able to give an answer. It was like, I was caught off-guard and the words he told me didn't really sink in. I mean, I was indeed shocked about what he said. We started off really bad. 

"Again, why?" I asked for the nth time. I just don't understand why he suddenly wanted to court me. Of course, I felt overwhelmed too. The fact that someone, with a face as surreal as his, asked for my permission.

A small smile escaped his lips and I avoided his gaze. 

Ge'ez. Why does he look so handsome? I mean, just because he told me he wants to court me doesn't mean the way I see him has to change. But why the hell it was changing?

Suddenly, his jaws seem more defined to me. His smile seemed to be so captivating and I get so shy just looking at him straight in the eye. 

Do I like him?

"I like you so I want to know you better. You've been asking me that question since an hour ago..." he chuckled and I scratch the back of my head. 

"It's because I don't understand! It's not like we were in good terms or something. From the first time we saw each other, I don't remember anything that shows the slightest idea that you like me. And this!" I pointed out the bag that he gave me. "You even threw my perfume! So, like, how do we talk about that?" 

I quickly grab the cup in front of me and took a sip of the hot choco I ordered. The two of us ended up in a cafe near the school, one reason why a lot of students had been looking at us. Part of the reason was, people rarely see us with other people than my friends. And when I saw friends, I meant the BlackTan kids like what they call us. 

"That's not something I can't compromise with," he answered. 

Putting down my cup, I wipe the invisible sweat on my forehead. What he did next made my heart do a mini-somersault. With a handkerchief on his hand, he leaned a little and started gently wiping my forehead. My hair was up on a loose ponytail and that made it easier for him to do that. 

My lips parted at what he did which made me put down my hand a little slower than the usual. 

I turned my head a little and that made him moved back. When I looked at him, he smiled once again and I felt something kicking inside my chest. 

Ge'ez. 

Every second that passes, I feel like I'm getting nervous even more. A long silence took over and I just don't know what to say. 

Do I say yes? 

For some reason. I feel like this, him, I feel like it's different. I've had suitors before and I remember telling them to ask for Dad's permission. But now, why do I feel so scared to tell him the same words?