1

By the way, her name is pronounced as Ma Ri Gold, like three separate words. So now it's like Mah-Ri.

---------

Mari's POV

"I could make it better

I could hold you tighter

' Cause through the morning

Oh you're the light (Oh)

And I almost lost ya

But I can't forget ya

' Cause you were the reason that I survived"

My voice resonated inside my room as I dry my hair with a towel, my bathrobe safely covering my body as I lazily step out of my bathroom. I was wearing my undies underneath.

"You were there for me through all the times I cried

I was there for you and then I lost my mind

I know that I messed up but I promise I

Oh-oh, I can make it right"

I hummed a little as I sang one of my Dad's hits back in the day, though I can pretty much tell that it's still famous even to my age. How long has it been since they released it? I don't also have the slightest idea.

I sat in front of my dresser with a mirror big enough to take a whole damn family picture, something my Mom insisted on getting because, according to her, not being able to see everything when ensembling up my fashion pieces is a total disaster.

Yeah, and that's something only her and aunt Jen would always talk about whenever they check Elle and I's wardrobe and how our uncles would say we've got so many things to learn, especially from our moms. Ow-kay, they were fashion ambassadors, fine! We get it.

Two knocks on my door, and it immediately opens without hearing from me whether it's okay to come in.

A long sigh escaped my lips, my gaze shifting towards the door where my younger brother was grinning, half of his body already inside.

"What now?" I asked, preparing myself for something I would be annoyed within less than a minute. Anything that comes out of Latch's foul mouth annoys me. If he isn't my younger brother like biologically, I would have thrown him outside the lawn five years ago the first time he sneaked into my room and wreck my cute little bunny stuff toy.

"Dad won't let me go out until I get your permission," he grins, and a long sigh escaped my lips. I took a glimpse of my wall clock and noticed that it's already past eight.

Dad often says that because he knew I probably know Latch's circle of "friends."

"Who are you going with, and where to?" Grabbing my comb on top of my dresser, I started brushing my hair, eyes focused on the mirror instead of my stupid younger brother.

"Just a few of my classmates, we're going to have a picnic across the town,"

My eyes drifted back to where he is, and a scowl automatically shows on my face. And when I scowl at him, it means to cut the bullshit and stop lying on my face - which he understood because it isn't the first time.

Soft chuckles escaped his lips, and if he doesn't resemble our father a lot, I swear this brush on my hand will fly straight to his face in five seconds.

He rolled his eyes and finally entered my room uninvited, taking in my bed and sat into it.

"Okay, I'm going out on a date. But I don't wanna tell Dad because he'll think it's Elle. I can't risk Dad calling uncle V. Elle will kill me if she finds out I'm going to date her friend. Like, why can't she trust me with her friend? If not, she should worry about me. I'm her best friend," he grimaced, and it's my turn to roll my eyes at him.