Part 11: The First Hunt (2/2)

"How far is this place..." Akai sighed. Giyu was carrying him on his shoulders.

"We'll be there soon." Giyu said.

"You said that 4 hours ago!" Akai groaned impatiently.

"We're here." Obanai said, pointing in the distance.

Akai let out a childish gasp when he saw a large town at the very end of the mountain path.

"Yay! Yay! Yay!" Akai bounced on Giyu's neck.

"Akai, you're too childish!" Shinobu scolded.

"Sorry." Akai frowned.

They walked up to and under a Torii gate and into the town. Even right off the path, the streets were filled with bustling people. Street vendors, restaurants, and shops were all set up on every available part. Couples and families moved all-around in every direction. It was too crowded to hunt a demon.

"Me and Obanai will go our own way." Mitsuri took his Obanai's hand and walked off.

"So, how do we lure this demon out?" Akai asked.

"We follow other couples and families, try to blend in." Giyu said while staring forward.

"If you haven't noticed, 'dad', there's no one here but families and couples." Akai gestured at the crowds around them.

"Hey." They turned around to be met with Sanemi Shinazugawa.

"Sanemi, have you found anything useful?" Giyu asked.

"None, No demons have been attracted to my smell. And the people I talk to don't give me any leads." Sanemi said before noticing Akai. "Why'd you bring the demon?" He asked while scowling at Akai. "We don't need another monster while there's one already on the loose." Sanemi said with anger.

"Shinazugawa san, Akai is here to help us." Shinobu defended Akai.

"Don't get me started!" Sanemi barked.

"You're causing a commotion." Giyu warned.

"Fuck off, water pillar." Sanemi growled at Tomioka.

"Akai, go somewhere with Shinobu." Tomioka wanted Akai away from the wind pillar.

"Tomioka San." Shinobu called.

"What?" Giyu turned around.

"Akai disappeared." She said with a worried look.

What they didn't notice was a small hole in the ground closing up...

--------

Akai remembered standing next to Shinobu as Giyu and Sanemi argued. Then he remembered the ground under him disappearing and him falling down.

Akai landed in the dark place underground. He landed in a cold, oddly textured liquid. And there was a strong smell of Demon and death. Akai took in a deep breath and heated his limbs to light the place he was in. What he saw made him regret his decision. He landed in a cavern full of corpses. Bones, blood, bodies, and flesh were strewn about. There must have been at least 12 bodies here. There were tunnels leading into other caves out of sight. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a face. Akai tore his gaze to it, only for it to vanish.

"Where are you!?!?" Akai ground his tooth against his stick and turned it into a knife. He also grew out of his clothes, leaving him naked. He saw the face again, this time it came out of the wall next to him. He punched at it, only for it to disappear. It appeared again and fled into a hole the size of its head. Akai slammed his fist down there to try and grab the demon. But he felt sand close around and crush his hand. To avoid further pain, Akai cut off his hand and jumped back.