Part 68: Regrouping

"Status Report:" Began our favorite Kakushi. "The Pillar training is nearing completion, and the recruits are gathering strength. Along with this, the Good Demon and Red Co- er... Just the Red Comet has returned to us successfully with the demons Tamayo and Yushiro. As of now, he is being debriefed by Master Ubiyashiki. That will be all for now." The Kakushi finished writing.

----------

"Yea... So uh... I'm one person again, Muzan's my uncle, he's learned everything about us and the corp and he's going to attack us in three months if I don't join him..." Akai muttered. "Oh- and Upper Moons Two and Three are dead, with number three possibly being traumatized. And- and that's pretty much it..." Akai was still trying to come to terms with all that had happened.

"..." Ubuyashiki was silent.

"Nnng- I'M SO SORRY!!!" Akai broke down and wailed as tears began to spray from his eyes. "HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PLACE AND IT'S ALL MY FAUUUUUUUUUUUUULT!!!" Akai bowed and sobbed into the floor.

"Stop." Ubuyashiki raised his hand and Akai stopped crying. "Come here, Akai." Ubuyashiki beckoned with his hand. Akai nodded (even though Kagaya is blind) and hobbled over to Ubuyashiki, sitting down next to him. "Do you realize what you've done...?" He asked.

"I've... doomed us all..." Akai clenched his fists and gritted his teeth.

"Wrong." Ubuyashiki smiled. "You've done the impossible." 

"...Huh?" Akai opened his puffy eyes.

"An entire millennia, my family has chased after Kibutsuji." Ubuyashiki said. "And thanks to you, he's coming right to us." He sounded overjoyed. "My boy, this is the greatest news I've ever heard." 

"O-Oh..." Akai's mood suddenly brightened.

"Three months..." Ubuyashiki muttered. "Akai. Over the past month, the Hashira have been training the recruits, and they've all grown stronger thanks to that." Ubuyashiki turned to Akai and spoke. "My boy, I want you to help train the recruits. With three more months of Pillar training and your aid in the process, we will be unstoppable." 

"You want me to train the- wait but I'm not a Pillar. So am I a Pillar now?" Akai stuttered. "Wait but Pillar of The Cosmos sounds stupid..." Akai muttered. "Whatever- I won't fail you sir!" Akai clutched Ubuyashiki's hand and swore.

"Good." Ubuyashiki smiled warmly and nodded. "You are dismissed."

"Yes sir!" Akai saluted the master and left.

----------

"Phew..." Akai sighed. Despite all the turbulent thoughts that had flooded his head the past several hours, Ubuyashiki had managed to pull him out of the hole his mind had dug itself into. As of now, he had reached the Butterfly Estate. "Ah. Home sweet home." Akai smiled and took in the fresh flower scent of the place.

Akai smiled and entered, immediately steering himself toward the infirmary. He entered and noticed Aoi giving an injured cadet some medicine.

"Righty! Aoi exclaimed upon seeing his face, she left the recruit to choke down his medicine and ran over to him, before pausing when she looked at his features a little longer. "Wait..."

"Uh... Long story short... I'm back." Akai smiled.

"Oh." Aoi came forward and wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. "It's good to see you again, Akai." She whispered into his chest.

"Good to see you too..." Akai muttered. "Ume..."

"Wait-who the hell is Ume?" Aoi suddenly pushed away from Akai.