Nightmare's Story

Magsimula sa umpisa

Nightmare motioned for Ink to stay there and headed toward the others. Ink watched as the Dark King grabbed his gang (to much complaint) and waved Blue and Error to follow.

Blue glanced at Ink, concerned. He mouthed wait here and followed. Error glanced back and forth, perplexed. He mouthed don't move and left after the King of Darkness.

Ink stood there, dumbfounded. <He's afraid of me.> Alyss said quietly. Why? No scratch that, how?

<He's seen what I can do.>
What exactly can you do?
<Many things, of course.>
But what kind?!
<You'll find out and learn with time.>

Ink groaned inwardly at that. He tried to sneak after- <He can sense where you are. That would be impossible.> Ink gritted his teeth in frustration.

<But I can help you with that.>
Really?!
<It doesn't take much, but hiding your aura doesn't take up too much energy.>
Okay, do it!
<Remember to be very careful with this ability. Only use sparingly.> Alyss advised. C'mon!!

Ink felt like a blanket of heavier air was suddenly pressing on him. It felt weird, but Ink wasted no time. He followed where Nightmare had left.

He found a door and heard conversation on the other side.

"Just came to him? She does not 'just come' to anyone. This.. thing is beyond any of you. I don't even see myself winning against that being."

"Well I hate to sound rude, but she really did sound friendly to me." Blue's voice.

Silence. Ink was worried Blue was in trouble. Then..

"You know nothing of this being. You don't know what she can do. Let me explain something to you."

A pause as Alyss seemed to grow cold within Ink. <I know what he's about to say. Please, Ink. Understand that there are many untold facts of this story, and while I indeed regret what I had done, it was a mercy that I did it.>

Ink was nervous now, not sure why she felt the need to warn him. Then Nightmare began.

"This being presented itself to me. As though I were merely a toy. This being explained that she was from outside of the Multiverse, outside of the very reality we dwell in.

She baited me into attacking her, and that was how she revealed her power. She was.. unbelievable. It took months to reform from what had been only two attacks. I.. was shocked at this creature. I.. I was afraid of it.

Then she appeared again, this time asking why I do this. Spread pain and agony."

There was silence for several minutes.

"She knew at the time I was planning an attack. She told me to leave the AU and stay away. I of course went ahead and corrupted it as quickly as I had ever done before. She showed up again, I was proud of spiting her.

This entity made it clear that the only reasons she left me alive were the balance of the Multiverse and for my brother. Then she destroyed the AU in seconds."

"What?! Are you sure?!" Error yelped as Ink went cold. "Absolutely."

Alyss played a memory in the back of Ink's skull. An AU much like Horror's, but with elements of Fell as well. Nightmare coming and making it a special, agonizing kind of hell. It was a mercy to end it, but that didn't explain the other things...

" Let's just say I used to have 16 tentacles before that day. Now, as you see.."
He only has 6. Ink realized.

Ink felt her guilt. <I was still new to this Multiverse. I was arrogant myself. I had compared Nightmare to another, much more insane and evil being that seeks to make me suffer. I was angry. So very angry. I made a terrible mistake then. I am not evil..>

<Honestly Ink, I am just like you.>

"You see why I do not trust this thing."
"Well, what does it want with Ink, then?" Cross spoke up.
A pause, then Error said; "I think we need to see her intentions. She pulled us to a place outside the Multiverse and left us there, but it took the Anti-Void's effects away from me. She gave Ink a real Soul, but left his colors in the possession of a dangerous individual. So I'm not sure if she is on our side or just toying with us."

Then Blue, good ol' Blue said: "Maybe we can ask why and how Ink feels about it, right?"

"What if she warped his mind, though?" Dust asked. What??

<I don't control others like that anymore. It made me feel sick, and I will never do it again.> Alyss explained.

<But then it's just up to you to believe me. Neither of us can change what's been done, and they can't either.>

"It would take some time to find out what the plan is here, yes. And we have left them waiting long enough."

Ink knew it was time to leave.
How do I know you're not lying to me?
He demanded of Alyss.
<I.. don't know how to prove it to you. All I can say is that I care, and I feel too much. I just want to help you and this Multiverse grow and change into something beautiful, even if I make my own mistakes. I have a temper, after all. But as much as my anger can blaze, it is often short-lived. While my love for things outshines everything. That is what I pride on. So make of it what you will. Just don't hate me.>

The speech impressed Ink, and he considered the words very carefully.

I believe you, Alyss.
A ray of hope flooded his mind, a flame bursting from Alyss before she hid it from him. Then it was just relief seeping from the cracks into his conciousness.

Ink smiled briefly, then closed his sockets and felt the Soul beat strongly inside him. That was something he didn't regret. Letting her in.