RIVER DALE

Chapter Five, River Dale

Veronica's POV:

I've been watching my brother for the past few weeks, he continues to act like a stranger in his own skin. The same goes for Nathan, who I've been watching from across the canteen whilst he drools at my brother. Could 'the Prince and the Pauper' really fall in love and make their different lives work? Could this school really have its own fairytale...

The two of them have hung out a little. Within the second week, when it was pouring down with rain, Lance saw Nathan walking home in it. So he asked him to get in his car and he drove him home. After that, he has drove Nathan home multiple times, getting to know him. But that is all they have done... talk. No hugging. No kissing. Nothing.

Just last week, Lance was having a day off from gang duties and he invited Nathan out for a little adventure. The two of them went into the city, were they played bowling and laser tag. 

I have decided that enough is enough. My brother by now should have jumped the bones of this fairytale boy 'Nathan Black'. But instead, he's sitting back and letting Nathan slip right through his fingers. This is not the Lance that everyone knows. Whatever Lance wants, Lance gets. So I don't know why he insists on fighting his feelings.

So I am going to set them up. I will get the two of them together, alone... because they are clearly far too stubborn to do it themselves. 

My brothers in depth research has informed me that Nathan and his family are out today, leaving Nathans precious pup, Mickey home alone. 

So me being me, I scope out the spare key, hidden not so discreetly under the plant pot, and I help my self to the little puppy and I guide her to a river the has been frozen over with the recent snow storm that hit us last week, River Dale to be precise. One of the largest rivers in our town, known famously for it's accidents during the winter months, were dumb teens head out on to frozen water and end up thawed at the bottom of it. But don't worry he will not be harmed, the weather was extra harsh this year, so the lake is completely frozen solid.

Hiding behind the bushes, making sure the dog doesn't actually end up running off and getting lost for real, I keep my eye on it as it stands there looking sorry for itself. I get hold of Nathans number, also via my brothers extensive research on the mysterious, brown haired, and green eyed boy. I text him anonymously. letting him know that I have seen a dog matching his puppy's description out alone on the frozen river. 

Now to get my dearest brother, Lance, here. I message him, a small white lie, knowing it will worry him and force him out of his man-cave. "LANCE, I NEED HELP, I'M ON THE RIVER AND THE ICE HAS CRACKED!" 

It takes both of the boys only minutes to get to the river, Nathan without thinking, runs on to the river to get his dog, helping to pull her across the frozen solid river using her collar to pull her along as she shivers against the cold, or at least I thought it was frozen solid. The dog finds its way to solid land pretty quick, but then there is a loud cracking sound, the ice breaks. I turn around and Nathan isn't there. Nothing is there but a massive hole in the ice. I start to panic, what if this turns into one of the infamous accidents? What if Nathan never comes out of that river alive. Thankfully, Lance has quicker reflexes than I do.

I see Lance running from the distance to the river shouting my name. I almost forgot I lured him here pretending I was in trouble. Now my white lie has turned into the truth, except I am not the one whose life is hanging in the balance.

"Lance, I'm ok !" I shout, creeping out from behind my hiding spot. He looks over at me with relief and wraps his arms about me tightly, while Nathan is under water, potentially freezing to death. I look over, filled with regret.