chapter eleven

“Angelique are you done with your homework" I knock once on the wall. I put down my book.

“Okay dinners ready" Lynn yells. Both seem to speak in synch. I stand to run to the table. I end up tripping over my feet. I didn't think its possible to trip on the rug. I sit on the chair, and ask how's their day.

“it's been good" both say it at the same time. They both are starting to get creepy. I suddenly feel not hungry.

“How many friends do you have?" Lynn asks. I list off my friends Ben, Sheryl, Tami, and Robin. Then I stop and think.

“Okay when will you bring your friends over?" Mom questions, I shrug my shoulders.

“How about you bring them over tomorrow" Lynn prompts. I wonder if they think I'm making that up. I sign that I guess I could. Lynn picks at her food. The table went into complete silence.

“I was thinking that I could make cookies for all your little friends" Mom smiles before continuing. “We could make fudge, ooh I could make juice". I sign that I was going to talk to a friend. Then I left the table feeling like a third wheel.

I text Sheryl hi. My phone beeps a minute later.

Sheryl: hi

Me: my mom wants to meet you guys tomorrow

Sheryl: okay bye

Now my decision comes back to me stay or go. I bang my head on the desk lightly. I mean it would be easier if I knew more about each one. Not that I was a drunken miracle child. Should I ask Mom more questions about herself?

“How was your day, Angelique?" Death asks. Well it was okay, all considering I sign. A frown appears unfortunately.

“You were thinking of me earlier, what were you thinking?" What when did I think of him? Maybe the funny image of death beating up Steven crossed my mind. I told him that it was a fluttering thought that crossed my mind.

Death sits on my bed. I pick up a pencil and paper. I write down my story so far. Everything that I know and anyone I know. It doesn't take me that long. I even right down everyone's real name because really who would believe me?

“What kind of music do you listen to?" Wow does this seem like an interview. I sign country, or classical. Classical has been calming my nerves, besides the nurses would play a lot of it in the hospital. That way none of the patients would get all riled up.

“Oh, one day I'm going to take you to see the golden gate bridge" he announces. I try to recall the bridge but none comes to mind. I nod politely, wanting something in common with my older brother.

A rock or some small pebble hits my window. I frown, Death looks at me. I walk to the window. A brick flew through before I could see who it was. Luckily Death pushed me away from the window just in time. My eyes widen looking at the size and registering what just happened.

“Angelique I must go before your mom gets up here" Death vanishes into thin air. My Mom runs into the room first, I'm shaking a little. Okay big lie I was shaking so hard that I couldn't sign properly. I do grab the note, while pretending to examine it.

“Are you okay? Who did that? Angelique answer me" Mom demands. My hands are still shaking way to bad to actually do anything. My mom must have took that as shock because she holds me.

The brick had a pile of broken glass around it.