Chapter one

I sit in the truck in between Mom and Lynn. Lynn is my older sister. My bags sat in the bed. For those who know nothing about trucks it's the back. A song from Alan Jackson plays in the truck.

“I picked the room with the view of the woods for you" Lynn twirls her finger in her blonde hair. I nod quickly before glancing out the window.

I tap on Lynn's shoulder. Then I ask how far away we are.

“About three more miles" Lynn's breath hinged for a moment. I look to the other side. My mom smiles nervously. Did I do something wrong? I roll a small stress ball in my hands.

I squeeze it hard before rolling it again.  I cut myself accidentally with my finger nails. I finally found a way to tame them somewhat. I have to file them.

I put my palm to my mouth. I suck on it. Then go back to rolling the ball. I look up when the car slows. I see a modern house, two stories. My sister climbs out before offering her tiny hand. I take it before jumping down. My flannel shirt goes up before I yank it down.

I pick up my bags. I feel awfully warm under my collar. Lynn puts her arms around my shoulders. I follow her into the house. Mom keeps behind me, looking back every few steps.

The floorboard creaks under my weight. My mom and sister jump. Why are they jumpy?

“You get two days to settle in. Then I'll drop you off at school. Mom will pick you up" I nod in agreement. She opens a door on the right.

“My room is next to yours if you need anything come and get me" Mom kisses my forehead before leaving with Lynn. My room has a desk bolted to the floor, and the bed is too. In fact all furniture was bolted to the floor.

The room has white fluffy carpet.

It has light blue walls and has western looking bed. Very comfy looking though. There are book cases lining up the walls filled with books.  I set down my bag then collapse on the bed. I yank the pony tail from my long hair.

I take off my cowboy boots. I throw them on the floor. I take off my socks too. I move under the covers, I felt very hot. I throw them off, and then I still felt hot. I strip into my underwear and sports bra.

I still felt hot. I throw a night gown on and look for the bathroom. I knock on mom's door. She opens the door and I ask her where the bathroom is. Mom points down the hall. I walk in and take a cold shower.

I lather on soap and shampoo my hair. I the cold streams run downs my body. I rinse and dry off my body. I put on my night gown. I run back to my room, and the heat returns. I open the window and shut the blinds. I feel instantly better.

I go lie on my bed on top of the covers. I put my head on the pillow. I roll off my bed.