Epilogue

{{The song in this chapter you don't have to listen to if you don't want. A lot of you already know it.
'You Are My Life' by Michael Jackson

Thank you all for following Kennedy and Michael through to the end!! Much Love!!}}

The crying began again. I thought for sure I had put him down to sleep and there would be nothing else left to disturb his sleep. I was wrong. I sighed, got up out of bed, trying not to disturb Kennedy and walked over to the bassinet.

"Come on," I whispered. "I think I know what'll help you sleep."

I picked up the tiny baby that lie swaddled neatly in the blanket the hospital had given before we had left earlier that day. Kennedy perfected the swaddling process as soon as baby boy entered the world. I, for the life of me, couldn't get it right to save my life.

I carried him, close in my arms, over to the bed and climbed in next to Kennedy who had awaken and was staring at us with a wide smile spread across her face.

"What exactly are you going to do to put my baby back to sleep?" She asked, skeptical.

"Well mama, I sing you to sleep and it works," I said, leaning over to kiss the tip of her nose. "So, it might work for him!"

"Or maybe you could learn how to properly swaddle him?" She suggested with a grin.

"Oh, shut up!" I playfully pushed her back. "Not all of us are good at it like you and Janet!"

"You're absolutely right!" She smirked.

I looked down and smiled at my precious baby boy and in that moment, it felt like everything was perfect. I was lucky to have met someone as beautiful and vibrant like Kennedy and I was even more blessed to have this beautiful tiny human. It was a long road for us, especially Kennedy. With two miscarriages hanging over her, she had given up hope and we had started looking into surrogacy. But like they say, third time's a charm and before we knew it, she was pregnant again.

It was a long and very hard nine months. Kennedy endured many complications and although I wished I could've taken away her discomfort, all I could do was make things as easy and stress free as possible. With an excellent doctor and team of nurses, we were able to have a healthy baby boy at five pounds, thirteen ounces. It was truly a beautiful sight to see and I was glad to have my sister there to share it with.

I continued to stare at the precious bundle of joy who just so happened to be staring right back at me.

"It's time for bed, both of you!" I declared, giving kennedy a side eye. I pulled her in close to us, wrapping my free arm around her.

"I love you, Michael." She expressed as she played with my wedding band. "Even though you've managed to get on every nerve I have, I still and will always love you."

I shook my head. "You couldn't just leave it at 'I love you'?"

"Nope!" She laughed.

"Well then I guess I love you too then!" I chuckled, giving her a tight squeeze.

I began humming the familiar tune that Kennedy had grown accustomed to. After awhile they had both fallen asleep.

After I laid the baby down and made sure Kennedy was fast asleep, I walked downstairs to the kitchen to grab a snack and to call mother to make sure she was doing okay. After about a half an hour, we hung up and I walked over to the large windows overlooking the city.

"Can't sleep?" Kennedy asked. She had walked up behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Not really." I confessed. "Never in a million years did I imagine being here, in this moment. You've shown me a different kind of love and joy that I've never known. Thank you for being you and loving me despite my flaws."

"I wouldn't trade what we have for anything in the world." She stated, intertwining her fingers in mine.

"Together forever." I whispered.

"Forever and ever."

🖤