Same Game, New Players

The next few days I spent locked in the bedroom. The only time I came out was when I knew for sure, he was gone for the day. I didn't want to see him because it would only start an argument and with the way I'm feeling right now, it's best we keep our distance. He seemed to have moved on as if the other night never happened but the bruise still lingering on my neck says otherwise. I stood there staring in the mirror lost in my thoughts, something I've been doing a lot lately, when I heard the doorbell ring.

Rushing down the stairs, I opened the door to someone I recently befriended. "Hey! Come in!" I exclaimed.

"Thought I wouldn't be seeing you anytime soon." Charles said, stepping into the house.

Charles Luciano, better known as "Lucky" Luciano, was a notorious mobster from New York. I met him in passing at the airport the same day Bill and I left the country. Bill left me for a brief moment to make sure everything was right with our flight, when Lucky approached me. Oddly enough, he knew who I was, and Michael of course, but I had to keep our conversation short. I was intrigued by him, so I did my own research and realized he was definitely someone I wouldn't mind doing business with.

"Well, here we are!" I shrugged. "Shall we?" He followed me to the study and I motioned for him to take a seat.

"I got your message," He began. "And if you're serious about this-"

"I am," I interrupted. "But I hope you are."

"Why wouldn't I be?" He asked, crossing his legs. "I do this for a living, in case you forgot."

"Because things might get messy if or when Michael finds out. He's not very welcoming when it comes to me getting involved with ..... outsiders." I explained.

"Listen up doll face, I'm not here to please Michael or anyone else. I'm here to do my job. Something you clearly want to get involved with. I know what you're capable of and I know what your weaknesses are and he's one of them. As long as he stays on his end, I'll stay on my mine and no one gets hurt because I know that's your biggest worry right now." He paused to make sure I was paying attention before continuing.

"Your job is simple. Keep doing what you were doing before. Bring in the money here and I'll match your efforts from New York. Obviously, the more clients the more money. Before you know it, the entire east coast will be yours without you even having to step foot over there."

"Okay I get all that but-" I started.

"I'm here to keep everything running smooth and organized. You don't need to worry." He responded, putting my nerves at ease. He stood from his seat and walked over to the window where I was standing. "It's the same game, just with bigger players."

"Trust me," He laughed. "You have more people in your corner than you realize. You'll be just fine."

I smiled as he brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. He paused for a second squinting at me when I realized he was looking at the bruise on my neck. He gently touched it and I quickly backed away. "He should be home soon..." I trailed off.

"Right." He responded, sounding a bit skeptical. He continued to eye my neck as if he was contemplating something and then he smiled. "It was a pleasure."

"Absolutely." I replied. I walked him to the door and watched as he got in his car and left.

I knew getting involved with Luciano would cause a lot of problems between Michael and I, but Michael left me no choice. I was determined to bring Michael back down from this new found power trip he was on. If anybody is going to do it, then I'd rather it be me and no one else. At least that way, he would be safe. For the most part.