Old Habits

There was a loud crash that came from downstairs which caused me to run down and into Michael's office to see what all the commotion was about.

"What the hell?!" I yelled.

A man, who looked to be somewhat young, was being held up by Bill. His face was bloodied and beaten, while Michael stood over him, face red with anger.

"Get out." He breathed, as he raised his hand to hit the guy once more. Before he could strike again, I pushed him over into the desk causing him to hit the side of his thigh on the corner.

"DAMNIT KENNEDY, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?!" He shrieked, grasping his right thigh in agony.

"What's yours?!" I shot back. I walked over to the guy and ordered Bill to let him go. Hesitant at first, he finally released the man, letting his body slump to the floor. "Leave, and don't ever come back or you'll have to deal with me." I whispered to the guy. He immediately gathered his jacket and ran out slamming the front door behind him.

"Well boss," Bill sighed, seemingly frustrated. "The misses here just let two hundred and fifty thousand dollars run out the door. Now what?"

"We were doing business before you decided to be superwoman and sweep in to save the day." Michael hissed at me, still clenching his thigh.

"I thought we were supposed to be starting fresh." I stated. "This is what starting over means to you? Was everything we went through all for nothing?"

"Someone has to pay the bills..." Bill mumbled, glancing out the window.

I shot him a death glare and responded, "If that's how you feel, then get a legit job or get the hell out of my house."

"Your house?" Michael questioned, with a raised brow. "You didn't even want to come back here and now it's your house?"

"My house. My rules. You can get out too if you'd like. Choice is yours, Michael." I answered, walking out the room.

Michael followed behind me out to the terrace. "We are starting fresh, but I still have to bring in the money for us."

"No." I replied.

"Why not?" He asked, leaning against a post.

"Because look where it got us last time!!!" I shouted. "I lost people I cared about and I almost lost you because of this mess you can't seem to get away from!"

He stood there for a second, looking at the ground before saying, "If you don't like it, then I don't know what to tell you." With that, he walked back in the house leaving me standing there in disbelief.

Unable to figure out the real reason why Michael wants to get back to his old ways, I decided to take a walk. I followed the pathway into the woods which lead to a clearing surrounded by trees and filled with wildflowers. It was a beautiful sight with the sunsetting behind the trees. Sitting in the middle of the clearing, I reminisced on how things were before. Before I lost my best friend, before I knew who Michael really was, even way back before I met Michael. Times seemed much more simpler back then than they do now. Although I love being with Michael and can't begin to imagine losing him again, I just wish things went back to being simple. My grandad always told me simplicity was not always bad, that it could be good and refreshing at times. At the time, when he was telling me this, I didn't believe him. Simple meant easy to me and I was never one to take the easy route in life but now I realize, maybe he was right. I missed simple but being with Michael was neither simple nor easy. I guess that's why I fell for him but damn. He needs to chill out.

Part of me feels like we're going backwards. I thought within the 5 years Michael and I spent apart, he had taken care of all his business and ended everything that kept us, or me at least, fearing for our lives. Clearly I was wrong.

The stars started to appear as the sky began to get darker and darker. It was time for me to head back in so I followed the pathway leading back to the house. On my way back, I became lost in my own thoughts, yet again, so I didn't see Rebbie walking up to me until she called out my name.

"Kennedy!" She called out, snapping me back to reality.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, looking around slightly confused. "I-I didnt know you'd be here....Michael didn't mention anything..." I trailed off waiting for her to explain.

"It was last minute." She shrugged.

"Well, what brings you here?" I asked, still confused as to why she was here and why Michael didn't say anything.

"You and Michael had a fight, huh?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. Suddenly I knew where this conversation was going.

"What goes on between Michael and I is no one's business." I scoffed, as I brushed past her. She quickly took my arm and yanked me back so that I was facing her again. I looked down at where she had touched me and back at her as if to say, 'You've got me all the way fucked up.'

"He called me, which makes it my business now," She proceeded to say. "Stop trying to get in between him and whatever business he needs to take care of."

"I'm gonna stop you right there," I replied. "You're not going to tell me how to run my household, but what you will do is stay in your place." I stepped closer to her leaving little to no space between us. "And if you ever touch me like that again, I swear you'll live to regret it."

I made it back in the house and walked in to see Michael reading on the sofa. He had on his reading glasses which I always thought was the most cutest thing but he hated when I gushed over them.

"I ran into your sister." I stated. I stood leaning with my back against the wall, waiting for an explanation.

"And?" He questioned, not even looking up from his book.

"And if there's a problem, talk to me. Don't recruit your sister. Especially one that barely gives you the time of day. I would've rather talked to Janet! At least she'll understand why I have reservations. And if she ever put her hands on me again, you'll be with one less sister. There was three. Then there'll be two. She better mind her own." Finally finishing my rant, I watched as Michael closed his book and slowly took his glasses off. He examined the cover of it before laying it on the coffee table and standing up to face me.

"Are you threatening my sister?" He asked.

"I don't make threats." I laughed.

"I don't take too kindly to aggressive promises." He replied. His face was cold and hard. I hadn't seen that look in a long time. It used to scare me but not anymore.

"And I don't take too kindly to your attitude. You look like you want to do something, so either do it or bring your tone down a notch." I retorted.

He let out a small chuckle. "You know, this is why I love you. You don't take shit from anyone." He walked over to me, backing me all the way up against the wall. He caressed my face and ran his fingers through my hair, all while admiring ever inch of my face. He traced the side of my neck with his fingertips before abruptly wrapping his hand around it, giving it a tight squeeze. He had me slightly lifted from the ground to where I was barely on my tiptoes. Unable to breathe, I tried to pry his fingers loose but to no avail.

"Michael-" I gasped.

"We're doing this my way. Whether you like it or not. So if I were you, I'd be quiet and go with the flow because nothing you say or do will change my mind. Whatever Rebbie told you, you better listen because that would be in your best interest right now." His voice was sinister. Nothing I've heard before. It literally sent chills down my spine. He leaned in, gently kissing my lips before throwing me to the ground and walking away.

I layed on the floor completely shook by what just took place. I've experienced worse with Michael, so this was nothing. What shocked me is that he promised he'd never do it again. Considering everything we've been through, I would have never thought he would hurt me or allow anyone else too. Perhaps I was wrong.  Maybe I should just back off and let him do his thing, without being in the picture this time. Since he's so determined to go back to old habits, then so would I. The only difference is that this time, I know more, I'm aware of more than he thinks and I have a lot more people eating out the palm of my hand than he would have ever imagined.