Reset

My name is Kennedy and I was born and raised in a small town in Texas. I was nothing more than a small town girl who worked overtime at the local diner just to get by. I took care of my grandfather until he had to be moved to a hospital where he died about a year later.

I held my own. Both my grandparents taught me how to be independent and to never depend on anyone but yourself. Be your own boss, make your own decisions and most importantly, make your own money. These three things I was exceptionally good at. Until I met Michael.

Michael was like no other. He was a smooth talker. He was sweet, caring, headstrong, smart, witty.... everything good you could find in a man, was in Michael. But he also had a mean streak. He wasn't one to be played with especially when it came down to his money and moreso, the people he loved. Upon seeing Michael, you'd think a man of his stature couldn't shoo a fly but man was I mistaken. Oddly enough, I loved him greatly for who he was. He made me happy. I never thought I would fall for him as quick as I did, but here I was. I had fell and damn did I fall hard.

People who know our story and those that will eventually read about it in books, will most likely think I'm just as insane as he is. The thing is though, everyone had the story all wrong. Michael wasn't the crazy one. In fact, he was the most levelheaded. Now don't get me wrong, he could beat you to a bloody pulp if triggered, but half the stuff that happened was solely orchestrated by me.

I never knew I had a knack for this kind of stuff but Michael must've sensed it the first day he met me. He knew how much of a hot head I was on our first date. He witnessed it firsthand. Although, he probably didn't anticipate us clashing all the time.

Michael tried to control his rage but I was constantly pushing him to the edge. Which is why we were always fighting. My smart mouth always got me into trouble with him relationship wise but when it came to business, he allowed me to do what I needed in order to secure the money. It was very seldom when he would have to intervene and whenever he had to, we all knew someone was going to die.

I learned everything from Michael and his family. They taught me the ins and outs. I mean without them, I'd probably be nice and settled in my grave by now. They only taught me the bare minimum, which is a lot to an outsider looking in. In reality, all the they were doing was Money Laundering. It was Luciano who taught me how to level up and acquire actual businesses along the way. He also showed me that with the right price, you can get a whole police department, a judge and the district attorney on your side.

With everything that I've learned, you would think I'd know better than to get myself wrapped up in this situation, but here I was. Laid up somewhere, unable to talk, riddled with pain and I kept being poked and prodded.

My eyes wouldn't open but I could here everyone around me. Michael sounded frustrated. Every time pain coursed through my body I could hear the anger in his voice when he spoke. Katherine would mumbled something to him but I could never hear what it was. Their conversation always sounded muffled. There were strange voices I kept hearing also. They talked about what my conditions were. They must've been doctors, but I didn't feel like I was in a hospital.

The smell of coffee and breakfast filled my nose. Then I would smell chocolate chip cookies, sometimes snickerdoodles, maybe. Sometimes I would wake up to the smell of pork, or meatloaf, fried chicken! You don't get those kind of smells in a hospital. I was at somebody's house, if not my own.

'I need to open my eyes!' I kept telling myself. My body wanted to move, talk, see! But it was like my brain was prohibiting me from doing so. Then one day I heard him cry. It sounded like he was talking to someone, until I felt his lips on mine. It was a soft and gentle kiss and then he laid his head on my abdomen.

With everything in me I tried to force my eyes open but failed many many times. It wasn't until the day I heard them talking about letting me go. At first I wasn't sure what they were going on about. But as they continued to speak, I realized they wanted to give up on me. I hadn't moved or opened my eyes yet and I'm pretty sure something was pumping air in me. Michael was furious. He argued and argued but it seem like everyone's mind was made up. In my head, I had already begun screaming.

How was this possible? Who told them it was okay to stop trying to save me. I was awake. Maybe not physically yet, but they're not giving me time. All I needed was a little bit more time, but it was too late. My air supply was just cut off but my lungs managed to keep breathing. They were really giving up on me

I heard Michael tell everyone to leave. I felt his body next to mine. He must've climbed in the bed with me. He held me tight and I could feel the tears rolling down his cheek onto my forehead. Then it happened.

My hand squeezed his tight, not wanting to let go.

"Kennedy?" He called my name. "Are you awake?"

My eyes fluttered open to see his hopeful eyes staring back at me.