What's Done In The Dark

Upon arriving back home in California, things seemed to be okay. Michael and I slept together for the first time in what seemed like forever. We even had a nice breakfast the following morning and reminisced about when we first met. Everything was fine and dandy.

Until today.

"What the hell?!" Rebbie shouted as she slung open the doors to the study.

I was sitting in my usual spot on the window sill, Michael was sitting in his chair reading the paper and Janet was lounging on the sofa, polishing her nails. When Rebbie stormed in, clearly upset about something.

"What?" Michael asked, nonchalantly.

"How could you get involved with someone like Dutch Schultz?" Rebbie asked. "I thought we weren't going to get that deep into this. Dad is going to be furious!"

"We'll be making more money," Michael replied. "I'm not sure what the problem is."

"The problem is, you didn't talk to any of us about this!" Rebbie snapped. "And it's dangerous. That man is a firecracker."

"He's actually doing better now." I said, still looking out the window. The roses had bloomed and for some reason, they really caught my attention. Maybe because they weren't there before.

"Who asked you?" Rebbie asked, with a bit of an attitude. An attitude I didn't like at all.

"First of all, check yourself," I responded. "Second-"

"Second," Michael cut me off in order to diffuse the situation before it could even start. "Kennedy has been working with a lot of the men up there. She knows how they work."

Rebbie let out a very ugly high pitched laugh that made not only me cringe but Janet stopped to look at her sister as if she was possessed. "And you think I trust her? With anything?" She asked in a fit of laughter.

"You'll watch your mouth when talking to her," Michael answered, glaring at her. "And you'll do what she says."

"The hell I will!" She shot back.

"Don't and see how far you get." He shrugged continuing to read his paper.

A silence fell over the room for a few seconds before Janet busted out laughing, which made me laugh under my breath and shake my head. It must've pissed Rebbie off because she stormed out letting the door slam behind her.

"See, I love it when you two work together. It's cute!" Janet beamed, still laughing.

"Yeah well I'm not too sure about that." I scoffed.

"Excuse me?" Michael asked. He removed his reading glasses and stared at me.

"Dutch and Jack have bad blood. Really bad blood," I explained. "Dutch killed one of Jack's men and now Jack is looking for revenge. He'll take out any and everyone working with Dutch. That includes you."

"I do things my way, you do it your way." He simply responded.

"Your way is going to get us killed, but okay." I rolled my eyes.

"Look, just because you have the entire male population of New York and surrounding areas wrapped around your finger, doesn't mean you get to doubt every move I make." He snapped.

I was listening to him rant, when suddenly a thought popped into my head. "What happened? What happened while we were separated for those five years?" I asked.

"What..?" I seemed to have caught him off guard. He was a little hesitant and I could tell it wasn't something he wanted to talk about. "Nothing happened."