Awaken

"Kennedy?" Michael leaned in and I could smell his cologne. "T-they said you wouldn't wake up and that it was time to let you go and-"

I placed my hand on the side of his face to calm him. A tear fell from his eyes and I wiped it away with my thumb. Hesitating for a while, I found the courage to finally speak.

"I-I'm okay." I whispered with a reassuring smile. That was all my vocal cords would allow for the moment but it was better than nothing.

Michael called for his mother and while he waited, he massaged the back of my hand. There was so many things I wanted to ask him but I didn't want to ruin the mood. Plus, after everything that's happened, I really don't need to try and insert myself into anything right now.

Katherine came rushing in with Janet right on her heels. Their faces lit up with shock and then relief when they saw I had awaken.

"She's awake!" Michael smiled big. "I told you guys she just needed a little more time, that's all!"

"Should we call the doctors?" Janet asked. She seemed happy but I could see the concern in her eyes.

"No," Katherine sat next to me and held the back of her hand against my cheeks and then my forehead. "How do you feel?"

I swallowed hard a few times before answering, "Okay... But my throat.."

"It'll get better," She explained. "It's going to be a little sore for a day or two. In the meantime, I'm going to put on some lemon tea and honey for you."

She leaned down to kiss my forehead before getting up to leave out the room. Janet, who was sitting at the foot, moved closer, taking Katherine's spot. Tears filled her eyes as I grabbed her hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

"I'm okay," I forced out a whisper. "I promise."

I gave Janet a reassuring smile, then looked to Michael, who was beaming with joy. I couldn't help but smile at the both of them. Janet has always been my partner in crime from day one and Michael has always been there when I needed him, despite everything that we've been through.

The next few weeks went by in a blur. My recovery process was hard but with the help of Michael, Katherine and the rest of the family, I was able to pull through and almost make a full recovery. My ribs were still sore and it hurt when I would do certain things, but other than that, I was well enough to finally get out of that bed. One more second lying down and I was going to lose my entire mind!

Michael and I argued the whole time because he treated me like I was a piece of glass. I literally couldn't go or do anything without him being right. there. Although he meant well, it was starting to become suffocating. It wasn't until I tried to go to the bathroom and he followed me in and tried to help me, when I finally snapped.

"Michael!!" I yelled. My voice echoed in the bathroom. I was sitting on the toilet glaring up at Michael.

"What?" He asked, innocently.

"I can wipe my own ass, ya know!" I snatched the toilet tissue out of his hands.

"I'm just trying to-"

"GOOOOOO!!!" I leaned forward and pushed him towards the door. I winced as pain shot through my ribs.

"I just wanted to help." Michael mumbled under his breath as he turned to walk out. I rolled my eyes, waiting for him to shut the door before getting up from the toilet and pulling my pants up.

There was nothing that irritated me more than being treated like I was broken. I loved everyone who has taken the time to care for me and make sure that I was well, but it was time they let me do things for myself.