Home Sweet Home

I woke up the next morning in the bedroom of my old apartment. I never sold it for these purposes so I let Clarissa keep the key and she took care of the place while I was away. Nothing changed. Everything was still where I left it including the money I had stashed away in case of emergencies.

When I arrived back in Texas, there was a warm welcoming at the diner I once worked at. Thanks to Clarissa and her big mouth, a few of the people I had known for years got together to celebrate my homecoming. The gesture was sweet but I wasn't in the mood to mingle or talk about Michael. Something everyone seemed to want to know about. Clarissa did a good job of changing the subject and although I didn't seem bothered by their curiosity or the fact that Michael and I weren't together at the moment, it wasn't until I made it back to the apartment last night that it hit me. Michael and I's relationship might've just come to an end and that alone was enough to cry myself to sleep.

After laying in bed for a couple hours, I finally got up to start my day. I took a shower, freshened up and was about to go make breakfast when there was a light knock on my bedroom door. I opened it and there was Clarissa, still droopy eyed with messy hair. I honestly forgot she slept over on the couch last night.

"There's a guy here looking for you. He says his name is Lucky." She said, in a grumpy tone. I couldn't help but laugh at her. She was never a morning person.

"I got it," I replied. "Go finish sleeping in my bed."

She perked up a little at what I said and without hesitation she went in my room, pushing me out and slammed the door behind her. 'Something's never change' I thought.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, as I walked in the kitchen to see Lucky sitting at the bar.

"You weren't gonna tell me you moved?" He questioned, not looking up from the newspaper he was holding.

"I literally just got here two seconds ago." I answered.

"You should've told me." He stated.

"I didn't know I had to report every move to you." It was entirely too early for him to start annoying me.

"You do if we're doing business." He responded back.

"Look, unless you're here for something other than to pinpoint my location, please let me know. Otherwise, you've overstayed your welcome." I snapped. I was starting to get pissed with how he was acting and I think he sensed it because his whole demeanor changed.

"Actually, I'm here to drop off the money you've generated over the past few days," He explained. There was a briefcase on the floor that he grabbed and placed on the bar top. "The more you put out, the more you make. So far your name is being talked about all over. Which can be good."

"Or bad." I stated. "The last thing I want is my name being talked about amongst police."

"Trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about when it comes to them." He reassured.

"You seem to have forgotten that you've connected me with druglords as well. Something Michael has never done because he knows they attract the wrong crowd the way honey attracts bees." I said, matter of factly. "How can I trust you?"

"Because half of NYPD is on my payroll along with the D.A. and a couple of our lovely judges." He winked, as if I should've known better.

He stood up from his seat and walked over to the kitchen sink where I was standing. His scent was so intoxicating that I had to take a step back in order to put a little space between us.

"The only thing you need to be concerned about is what Michael will do when he finds out and whether or not you want to be his enemy or his ally. Either way, I suggest you pick your battle wisely." He said, tipping his hat and walking out.