Chapter 12

I slowly wake up with a feeling that my head is going to explode, I have a banging headache. It hurts, my eyes hurt, my throat hurt, my whole body is acing.

"Hey, good morning. Are you feeling better?" Jarred ask, genuinely sounding concerned. He was speaking softly, and the whole "I'm a big bad cop" tone was gone. I'm too exhausted to annoy myself with all his flaws or be mad because of the things he's actually good at.

"Is he dead?" I sound empty like something was missing, like someone took a piece of my soul. I didn't look at him. I just wait for the painful answer.

"No, but he's in a coma, and they don't know when, or if he's going to wake up." Still calm. How could he be so calm? He knows James too. They're old family friends. Doesn't he care at all?

I look up at him and momentarily realize that I was wrong. His eyes were puffy and red, he had been crying. I'm choosing to let it go this time.

"I know that we might not like each other, but..." He sighs and looks at me.

"But I need your help, Sabrina." He continues, he took his eyes off me and looked to the ground like he had something stuck on his feet.

"The ones over me think that these are the same guys that..." He pauses for what feels like an eternity. He lets out another sigh, and he breaks his streak of sitting with a picture-perfect posture and sink together as he sits down on the bed together with me. He closes his eyes for a few seconds, before continuing.

"They think they are the same guys that fucking kidnapped my son, Sabrina." His eyes went all blank while he was talking and he was slightly shaking, trying to take deep breaths.

"They're scared of them, and won't do anything. They don't want me to do anything either, but I can't just sit around and look at them slowly killing off innocent people just because they want to get into their loved one's head. They took my five-year-old son, Sabrina. They just came in one night and took him." He turned away from me, he stared right into the wall, he was hurting. His son was kidnapped. Just five years old.

"Aww, Jarred. That's really terrible." I said in the most babylike voice I could. He looked at me, his eyes lit up with a hope that I would help him find his child. I almost feel bad for him, but he deserves it. He's a fucking dickhead after all.

"He's probably dead, and I can't fucking help you, Jarred." I spit out his name like it was a rotten tomato.

He broke. That's my best shot at explaining it. His fire went out, the light in his eyes was gone, he just looked sad and empty. He got up, turned around and started walking.

Halfway through the door, he stopped. He turned around to me, and he said: "I really thought you were better than that, Sabrina. But, I guess you learn as long as you live, right?" His voice was shaking, and with those hurting words, he just left.