Chapter 24: One Less Person to Ignore

It had been a few weeks since Spring Break ended, and after that little bust up I had with Nash, we hadn't spoken. But it was for the best. At least, that's what I told myself. The only problem I had with everything was agreeing to continue that stupid bet. I hadn't even looked at Mr Edwards since coming back to school, let alone tried to get him to sleep with me. I just knew I wasn't going to make it work, and I had to figure out a way to get Nash to forget about the bet. I didn't want to lose, not with what was at stake.

"Jolie? Hello? Are you even listening to me?!"

I snapped back to reality as Emma waved her hand in front of my face. She looked a little peeved, though I wasn't surprised. I'd be peeved to if I was trying to talk to someone who wasn't paying attention. I glanced around the classroom, and made sure the teacher wasn't looking at us before speaking.

"Sorry," I mumbled, shaking my head, "What were you saying?"

"I was talking about prom," She groaned, "We have to go dress shopping soon. It's literally just weeks away."

"We don't even have dates," I rolled my eyes, "And I thought you already bought a dress a few months back."

"I bought two, actually. But I don't like either of them anymore. I need a new one," She shrugged, "And when it comes to not having a date, you're wrong. I do have a date."

"Really? Who?" I asked, just as somebody else hushed us. We both looked at the teacher, silently apologized, and then spoke a lot quieter.

"Derek Hanson," Emma told me under her breath.

"Who?"

"Derek Hanson. He's on the football team, he's got dark hair and gorgeous brown eyes."

"Is he a Junior?"

"Jolie, he's in your English class!" She frowned, poking me. I shrugged in response. Not my fault if the guy isn't memorable.

"Anyway," Emma went on, "We need to go dress shopping. And you need to find a date.. unless you're going to do what you always do and bring Cameron with you."

"Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it," I told her, frowning slightly, "Besides, you know I don't like any guys we go to school with. Cam's a good friend, I have fun with him."

"Fine, fine, fine," She rolled her eyes, "I won't argue with you. Just promise we can go dress shopping at the weekend?"

"Alright, I promise," I spoke, just as the bell rang signalling the end of class. I told Emma I'd see her later, and started making my way towards English - a class I now despised.

As I went to walk into the classroom, I bumped arms with someone and turned to them. I froze momentarily when I noticed it was Nash.

"Um, sorry," I said after quickly regaining my compusure.

"It's fine," He shrugged, stepping back to allow me to walk into the classroom. His face had a completely blank expression. I nodded in response and made my way into the classroom.

Wow, that's the most we've spoken to each other since arriving back at school, I thought to myself. Why am I so surprised? Before Christmas break I used to speak to him even less.

As Mr Edwards entered the classroom, I took my now usual position of burying my face in my notebook so I could only listen and take notes throughout the class. 

What the hell has my life become?

~~~

As the bell rang signalling the end of the day, I quickly gathered up my things to leave. As I walked towards the door, Mr Edwards stopped me.

"Jolie, could I speak to you for a moment?" He asked, and for the first time in a long time I made eye contact with him.

"Um, sure," I shrugged, leaning on a desk close to his, as I waited for the class to empty. I felt someone brush passed me, and I looked up at Nash. He didn't look back, though, he just exited the class with everybody else.

Usually he'd respond to me talking to Mr Edwards, I thought. Well, before Spring Break, that is.

When all the other students had left, Mr Edwards - mimicking my actions by leaning on his desk - looked at me for a few moments, as if trying to think of what to say.

"Not to be rude or anything Mr Edwards, but if you've nothing to say then--"

"I'm sorry."

I paused and stared at Mr Edwards, cocking an eyebrow.

"Sorry for what?"

"For everything," He sighed, looking down at the floor, "Everything I did before Spring Break. And after, I guess."

"Mr Edwards--" I tried to speak, but he interrupted me again.

"No, no, listen for a minute. I messed up. I took advantage of you being in a vulnerable state and I lead you on."

"Vulnerable state?" I repeated, and he looked up at me.

"Yeah. You were upset over your relationship with another student. Nash, wasn't it?"

"Oh, yeah," I nodded slowly, remembering what I had told him, "But, Mr Edwards--"

"Please, call me Max," He sighed, and I nodded.

"Okay, Max, there's no reason to apologise. It's fine. Seriously."

"No, it's not," He groaned, standing up straight, "I lead you on, I almost kissed you, and I've made you feel uncomfortable since arriving back at school. And for what? An ego boost? Some sort of false emotional attachment?"

"Wait.. what?" I asked, frowning as I tried to comprehend what he was saying, "False emotional.. what are you talking about?"

Mr Edwards.. or, Max, sighed as he looked at me.

"I've had some issues the last few months, to do with a relationship. It's nothing to concern you."

"Well, it is if you're bringing it up like this," I said, placing my books on the desk and crossing my arms, "Tell me."

"Why?" He asked, "Why do you want to know?"

"I don't know, I just do," I told him firmly, "Now, tell me. You listened to all the woes of my.. relationship. The least I can do is listen to yours."

"Are you sure?" He asked, "Because, it might take a while."

"I have nowhere to be," I shrugged, "Besides, us talking might help clear the air between us."

"Okay," Max shrugged, taking a seat at his desk. I nodded and sat down at a desk while he began to speak. I had no idea why I was doing this, or why I was being so nice. But, I thought, if we could work things out then at least I'd have one less person to worry about ignoring.