Chapter 10: That Wasn't Supposed to Happen

After what happened on Friday with Mr Edwards, I decided to spend the weekend at home. I didn’t want any chance of running into Nash. I had called Emma and explained everything to her, and being the great friend she is, she laughed and kept asking me how good of a kisser was Nash. I of course couldn’t answer since we never kissed, he just attacked my neck, which had multiple hickeys afterwards. Thanks Nash.

Arriving in school on Monday, I decided to ignore Nash completely, knowing that would annoy him more than anything. You see, Nash Grier was the type of person who loved being the center of attention, and became very distressed when he wasn’t. It was funny, really, how someone could care so much about whether people were paying attention to them or not.

I spent the next two weeks like that, ignoring him. Every time he said something to me, snide or not, I pretended I didn’t hear him and continued what I was doing. It must have been working, because on the first Wednesday, after trying multiple times to get my attention, Nash stormed away from the lunch table. I just smirked to myself and kept talking to my friends as some people questioned why Nash was so angry.

Apart from ignoring Nash, I also spent time with Mr Edwards. But not in any other way apart from a student-teacher kind. On Monday, he had come up to me and asked how I was feeling. I told him I was feeling better, but I wouldn’t mind talking to him if it was about English. So, we made plans to stay back for an hour or so after school to discuss my English work. After Monday, we decided to do this almost every day from them on.

Myself and Mr Edwards planned on staying back after school again on the Friday before Spring Break. But, it being just before Spring Break, I found it hard to concentrate on what we were discussing.

"Jolie, are you listening?" He asked, and I stopped staring out the window to look at him.

"Oh, sorry," I said, shaking my head, "I’m a little distracted."

"Thinking about your plans for Spring Break?" He chuckled, leaning against his desk. I nodded in response.

"Two weeks of chilling out in the sun with my friends, can’t wait," I smiled.

Chilling out? Is that what they call underage drinking nowadays?”

"It’s the cool way of saying it.”

Mr Edwards laughed, and I swore I felt something flutter in my stomach. He has a cute laugh, so what? No need to be getting giddy over it.

There was a moment of silence before Mr Edwards spoke again, “Not to be invasive, but will you be spending Spring Break with your boyfriend?”

I almost asked him what he was talking about, until I remembered what I had told him happened that day two weeks ago.

"Oh," I sighed, looking down at my hands, "I shouldn’t think so. We haven’t spoken at all in the last two weeks, really."

"Yeah, I noticed," Mr Edwards said, and I snapped my head up to look at him.

"Excuse me?"

"Your boyfriend, I noticed you weren’t talking to him is all," He shrugged, "Nash Grier, right?"

I opened my mouth to say something, but Mr Edwards continued, “I’m not going to lie and say I haven’t seen you two bickering every now and then over the last few weeks. Well, not the last two weeks, but before that.”

I frowned at him in response, trying to think of an answer. Should I say Nash is my boyfriend? The thought disgusts me, but it’s not like I can tell him it’s someone else I go to school with.

"Yeah, it’s Nash," I mumbled, trying to prevent my face from grimacing at the mention of his name, "But nobody else knows about us. I mean, none of our friends or family. And I’d like it to stay that way."

"Of course," Mr Edwards said, "I wouldn’t dream of telling anyone."

I nodded and looked around, pursing my lips, “I think I should get going.”

"I shouldn’t have brought him up," Mr Edwards sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, "I’m sorry."

"It’s fine, honestly," I spoke softly as I stood up from the desk I was at and gathered my things.

"No, it’s not, I’m sorry," He spoke and reached out to touch my arm. His fingers were cold, and I jumped slightly at his touch. He didn’t seem to notice, as he kept speaking.

"I only brought it up because you’re a good student, probably one of my favourites, and I don’t want some guy making you feel bad and affecting your schoolwork."

I turned to look at him, and almost gasped at how close we were. Our faces were just centimetres from each other, and I could feel his breath on my face. Mr Edwards must have noticed this too, as he blinked rapidly a few times while his eyes studied my face.

"Is that the only reason?" I asked quietly, "Because of my schoolwork?"

He licked his lips, his eyes focusing on mine, “Maybe not the only reason.”

Mr Edwards started moving his face closer to mine, and I felt my heart speed up. I closed my eyes, waiting for his lips to connect with my own. When it didn’t happen, I opened my eyes to see him stepping back from me.

"I’m sorry," He coughed into his hand, avoiding eye contact with me, "You’re right, you should probably get going."

My heart sank in my chest, and I opened my mouth to protest but decided against. I grabbed my bag and quickly exited the classroom, almost running out of the school building to my car. When I got to my car, I sat there for a few moments replaying what just happened in my head.

He wanted to kiss me, I thought, He definitely wanted to kiss me.. but why didn’t he?

Why did I care so much if he kissed me? I needed him to fuck me to win the bet, I don’t even need to kiss him.

When it dawned on me, I groaned and beat my fists against the steering wheel.

"No, no, no, no, no," I repeated, almost yelling, "This wasn’t supposed to happen! I wasn’t supposed to start liking him! He’s my teacher for Christ’s sake!"

Didn’t stop me from trying to have sex with him, though.

I threw my head back in frustration, “This wasn’t supposed to happen.”

After sitting there for another few minutes, I started my car and pulled out of the now almost empty parking lot. As I was driving home, I heard my phone buzz in my bag. When I reached a red light, I pulled it out and checked it.

Be home soon, your dad and I have some news - Mom

I sighed and tossed my phone onto the passenger seat. Great, just what I need.

I was pulling into my driveway about ten minutes later, when I noticed another car parked in front of me. I recognised it, but it wasn’t my parents. I frowned as I stepped out of my car and stared at it for a few moments. When I finally realised who’s it was, my face dropped.

Why the fuck was Nash at my house?