Chapter 26: Wanting vs. Doing

"Really? Turquoise? Isn't that a little... overdone?"

"Fine," I groaned, rolling my eyes, "What about this one?"

"If you want to look like a lemon dipped in glitter then sure, go for it."

"You are the pickiest prom date ever!" I snapped, hanging another dress back up on the rack.

If it wasn't obvious, Cameron was with me while looking for an outfit to wear to the prom. Emma wasn't too thrilled with the idea, but seems happy now that she realised all the bad decisions her date, Derek, was going to make without her.

"What? Is it so bad to want my date to look good?" Cameron asked, glancing around the store.

"I always look good," I countered, returning my attention to the racks of dresses.

Even though he was being somewhat annoying, I still appreciated having Cameron with me. Since I confided in him about the bet two weeks ago, we've spent nearly every day hanging out with each other. He almost made me forget about it all, which was nice. But then I'd see Nash in the hallway or at lunch and it would all come flooding back to me. 

"Oh my God, I can't believe you right now!" A familiar voice half-yelled from behind me, and I turned to see Emma stomping towards me with an exasperated Derek standing behind her. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking between the two.

"Oh, nothing," Emma said, shaking her head, "It's just my date is a total idiot!"

"How am I a total idiot?" Derek asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Because you bought your suit before I got my dress!"

"So? I haven't gotten the tie and pocket square yet, those are the parts that match the dress," Derek countered, and Emma shot him a look of pure evil.

"Okay," I said, stepping in between the two of them, "Why don't you both just chill out?"

"I'll chill out once I've strangled him," Emma hissed through her teeth, and Derek took a step back.

I looked at Cam with pleading eyes, silently asking him to do something. He turned to Derek and patted him on the shoulder.

"Hey, why don't we go get some drinks for us and the girls? Leave them look around by themselves for a while?"

"That's a good idea," I forced a smile at Derek and Emma, "You go do that, we'll keep looking here."

As Cam and Derek headed out of the store I mouthed a thank you to Cam then turned back to Emma.

"Em, how many times have we talked about not going psycho on boys you've just started to date?"

"Why would I date him? He's an idiot!" Emma stomped her foot angrily, and I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up, you like him. You just want to control everything."

"So do you!"

"Yes, but everything usually goes my way so I don't have to throw a tantrum," I smirked, "Find any dresses yet?"

"I found a few I'd like to try on," Emma sighed, trying to calm down. I nodded at her and looked at the few I had that Cam hadn't shot down.

"Me too. Let's go see what they look like on us."

We both made our way to the dressing rooms, and stepped in two beside each other. As I tried on the various dresses silently, I could hear Emma groaning next door, obviously frustrated with each dress she had.

I wasn't going to lie though, I wasn't having any luck either. Each dress was either too loose in areas, or too big in others. Nothing seemed to look go on me.