Chapter 16: No Point in Sitting around Moping

After arriving back at the lake house, I tossed my ice cream in the trash. It had melted on the walk back, and I was not going to eat it after that. I passed my mom and Nila as I was walking back to my room, and they stopped me to talk.

"Hey, where’s Nash?" Nila asked, and I shrugged.

"He had 'better things to do’,” I said, trying very hard not to grimace, “So I walked back.”

"It’s an awful long walk," Nila frowned, “Why would he make you walk back? I’ll call—”

"No, no," I shook my head, cutting her off, "It’s fine, honestly. The walk helped. I feel better now."

I was about to head to my room, when I stopped and looked at my mom.

"Um, mom," I started, smiling sweetly, "I have to ask you something."

She frowned at me in response, “What?”

"Would I be allowed to go to a party tonight?"

"A party?" She raised her eyebrows at me, "You don’t know anybody here, how could you be invited to a party?"

"I’m just that charming," I smirked, but let the smile fall from my face when I saw my mom’s expression.

Jolie.”

"Mom, please," I whined, "It’s just one party. You’re already making me spend Spring Break away from my friends, the least you can do is let me go to this party."

My mother opened her mouth to reply, but another voice chimed in instead.

"Just let her go to the party, Cher,” My dad said, walking towards us.

"Michael," My mom sighed, looking at him. I could tell she wanted to yell at him, but obviously wasn’t going to with Nila around.

“Jolie's right,” My dad shrugged, “We are making her spend Spring Break with us instead of her friends. Let’s just let her go. She’ll be fine.”

I smiled at my dad, though I was surprised by him. He was just as mad at me as my mom was, so why was he okay with this?

"Alright, alright," My mom threw her hands up in defeat, "Fine. You can go to the party.”

I gave her a quick hug and beamed up at her, “Thank you.”

"You’re welcome," She rolled her eyes, "Who’s having this party, anyway?"

"A guy I met called Kyle," I shrugged, and almost laughed at my dad’s expression. "He invited both me and Nash, dad. Chill out."

"Oh, is Nash going with you?" Nila asked, and I suddenly remembered she was there.

"I don’t know, actually. He ran off and left me before I could ask."

I talked to my parents and Nila for another few minutes before heading to my room. Once in there, I checked my phone and saw I had a text. Kyle had sent me the address of the party. I smiled to myself before going over to my bags, and pulling out all my clothes. I had to pick out something nice to wear for the party.

As I looked through all my clothes, I couldn’t stop my mind from going to Nash. Was he going to go to the party tonight? He didn’t seem to like the idea of going to the party, or maybe he didn’t like the idea of me going to the party…

Oh my God, Jolie! Shut up! Get that idiot out of your head, now!

I sighed and shook my head, continuing to search through my clothes.

Where did he go that was so damn important anyways?!

I groaned once I realised I wouldn’t be able to get him out of my head. I laid down on my bed, continuing to groan out loud, until there was a knock on my door. I looked towards it as it opened and Will’s head popped in.

"Everything okay? Sounded like there was an animal in here."

"Just me," I grunted, sitting up, "Sorry. I’m just.. annoyed."

"With what?" He asked, stepping into the room. I cocked an eyebrow and watched him carefully. I’ve known the guy a day. I hardly think I’d be able to talk to him.

"Your brother."

Okay, so I was wrong. The words had left my mouth before I could even think about it. I watched as Will smirked and dug his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"Sounds about right," He grinned, "What did he do now?"

"Everything," I rolled my eyes, "Did you know he left me to walk back from the store? It took over an hour!"

"Yeah, my step-mom told me," Will said, trying not to chuckle, "Why did he leave you to walk back?"

"Something stupid," I mumbled and looked around. I wasn’t sure why I was talking to Will. I hardly knew the guy, not to mention his brother was the spawn of Satan.

Okay, Jolie, that’s a little harsh.

"How’d you get that bruise?" Will’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I looked at him. He was staring at my leg, with an expression of confusion and what I assumed was disgust. I looked down at the bruise on my leg and frowned. It wasn’t as bad as before. The deep purple it once was was fading into a yellow-ish colour.

"Walked into a dresser," I shrugged, trying to avoid his eyes. I didn’t want him to see that I was lying.

"Oh, well, alright then," Will grumbled, and I could tell he didn’t believe me. Doesn’t matter because I wasn’t going to tell him how I really got it.

There was a few moments of silence before Will spoke again, “So, you’re going to a party tonight?”

I looked up at him and nodded, “Yep. How’d you know?”

"Again, my step-mom told me," He said, a smile playing at his lips, "Is Nash going with you?"

"I’d rather he didn’t," I admitted. It was true. I didn’t want him to go. But I wanted to know whether or not he was.

Will nodded, then eyed me up and down before speaking again, “So, what’s with you and my brother?”

"What do you mean?" I spoke too quickly for my voice to come off as casual. Nice one, Jolie.

"You know what I mean," He rolled his eyes, "There’s got to be a reason why you don’t like each other."

"We just don’t get along," I shrugged, jumping off the large queen sized bed, "There’s nothing else to it."

Will stared at me for a few minutes, a frown evident on his face, before he sighed and walked towards the door.

Just as he stepped out of the room, he looked back at me and said, “I will found out what’s going on.”

Once the door was closed, I sat down on the floor and buried my hands in my face. Could it be that obvious that something was up between us? No, Jolie, you’re just being paranoid. Will just wants to know why you guys are so pissed with each other, that’s all. He doesn’t suspect anything. I hope..

After sitting on the floor for a while, I finally stood up and went back to my clothes.

"No point in sitting around moping," I spoke aloud to myself, "I have to pick out an outfit for this party."

I decided I wasn’t going to worry about Will, or Nash. I was just going to go to that party later and enjoy myself. God knows I deserve it.