Chapter 5: Lord, Give Me Strength

We weren’t late when we arrived home. Actually, we still had plenty of time as my mother hadn’t even gotten home yet. My dad was home, though, and the chef my mom hired to cook dinner was here (she always hired a chef for these kind of things, and then made it seem like she cooked it all).

When my mom got home, she was rushing around the house in a blind panic trying to make sure everything was perfect. Shortly before seven, when my dad’s business partner was supposed to arrive, I went and got ready. I put lots of volume in my hair and curled the ends, and wore minimal makeup. Just some black winged eyeliner and a dark, brick red matte lipstick. I put on a white mesh panel dress with spaghetti straps, that stopped just before my knees, and a pair of black strappy heels. I didn’t want to overcrowd myself with accessories, so I put on a thin silver bangle that rested on the middle of my forearm, and a few rings. Once I was done, and pleased with how I looked, I walked downstairs into the dining room, where my parents were ready - and arguing.

"How am I supposed to know what his favourite wine is?!" My dad yelled, looking into the mirror on the wall as he tried tying his tie.

"You should have asked, Michael!" My mother yelled back, and then looked at me, "Is that what you’re wearing, Jolie?”

"No, I just thought I’d throw it on for the fun of it," I rolled my eyes and walked over to help my dad with his tie.

"I didn’t mean it in a bad way," She sighed, "But, shouldn’t you be wearing something that doesn’t show as much skin?"

"This doesn’t even stop mid-thigh," I said, looking at her.

"Michael, say something," My mother groaned, and I looked back at my dad as I finished tying his tie.

"You look gorgeous, honey," My dad said, and I smiled at him.

"Michael!"

"Oh, Cher, lighten up,” My dad rolled his eyes, “She could be wearing so much worse.”

"Bu—"

"No buts," He said, turning to my mother, "Besides, Chad’s got teenage sons, so if anything this could work to our advantage."

"Excuse me?" I said, raising an eyebrow, "What do you mean teenage sons? I thought it was just your business partner coming over."

"Him, his wife, and his sons," My dad told me, "And he’s not my business partner. At least, not yet.

"The dinner is so your father can hopefully negotiate a deal," My mom chimed in and I sighed.

"You could have told me this earlier. I don’t exactly like the idea of being pimped out to the sons of my dad’s colleague."

“Jolie,” My mother hit my arm lately, her way of 'scolding' me, “We’re not pimping you out! Your father clearly meant that if his sons like you, then it could be helpful.”

"Whatever," I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Go get Gemma and Leon, Chad should be here any minute,” My dad said, before walking into the kitchen.

I went upstairs and got Gemma and Leon from their rooms. As I came downstairs, I realised I didn’t have my phone, so I went into the dining room to get it - seeing as that was where I left it. I picked it up and looked to see what messages I had, just as the doorbell rang. I could hear my dad greeting our guests, but kept looking at my phone. I skimmed through my list of messages, but only clicked on one that caught my eye:

Have a great night ;) - Nash

Why the hell was he texting me?, I thought. I heard my parents talking to our guests, and heard whoever it was say, “Michael, Cherise, how are you? Thanks for inviting us over!” I quickly tucked my phone into the side of my bra, as I had nowhere else to put it, and walked into the hall.

My mom and dad were standing beside the door, blocking my view of the guests. My dad looked back at me and smiled, gesturing for me to come over to him. I went to stand beside him as he introduced me.

"And this is my eldest, Jolie,” My dad spoke, and I smiled politely at the grey-haired man and blonde woman.

"Hello, Jolie. I’m Chad, and this is my wife, Nila,” He spoke, and I was about to say hello when I noticed something. His eyes, I recognised those eyes.

"These are my sons," Chad said, as two tall boys stepped out from behind him, "Nash and Hayes."

My jaw almost hit the floor as I looked at Nash, who was smirking at me. I must’ve been staring longer than I meant to, because my dad suddenly spoke.

“Jolie, are you alright?”

I quickly closed my mouth and looked at my dad, who was staring at me with a "what-the-fuck" kind of expression. I looked back at Chad and Nila and smiled.

"Hi, sorry. It’s so lovely to meet you Mr and Mrs Grier,” I said, trying to be as polite as possible. They smiled in response, and then spoke to my parents. I tried concentrating on what they were saying, but I could feel Nash’s eyes boring into my skull.

"Well, lets not stand around in the hallway," My mom spoke up, "Why don’t we all go into the living room for some drinks."

My parents guided Chad and Nila into the living room, and my siblings and Nash’s brother followed them. Nash was about go in, when I grabbed his wrist and pulled him back with me towards the door.

"You knew about this," I whispered, glaring at him. He just smirked in response.

"I may have known."

"Why didn’t you say anything?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. It probably wasn’t the best move, as it made Nash look me up and down quickly. He finally looked back at my face, and he still had that stupid smirk on.

"What would I say? 'Oh, hey Jo, I'm coming over to your house for dinner with my family, so we better make sure not to tell them about our planned sexcapade'.

"We have no sexcapade planned,” I hissed at him, “We have a bet. Which, by the way, you are losing.”

"How am I losing?" He asked, furrowing his brows in confusion, "Do you have plans with Mr Edwards to go fuck during homeroom?"

"I’m going to win," I said, ignoring what he just said, "And you, Nash, are going to lose.”

"You keep thinking that, babe," Nash said, and squeezed my side. I smacked his hand away just as I heard my mom calling us.

“Jolie, Nash, what are you doing?”

"Just talking," I called back, "We’re coming now."

Nash winked at me before heading into the living room and whispered, “It’s going to be a fun night.”

I stood there for a moment, trying to collect myself. I took a deep breath, then headed into the living room.

Lord, give me strength.

____________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm probably not going to make many of these author notes for a while, as I'm just reposting chapters that I've already posted on my tumblr. If you want to read the next few chapters I have posted, then just head on over to my tumblr! The link is on my profile, but if you somehow can't find it then my url is thatdallasboytho.

Thanks lovelies!