Chapter 13: Not Appropriate for the Dinner Table

I didn’t want to get too dressed up for dinner, so after washing up a bit I just put on a light blue pineapple print cami dress and a pair of sandals, with a simple silver bangle. After fixing my hair, I stepped out of my room to head up to the dining room, when I heard someone speak to me.

"Well, doesn’t someone look pretty," A voice whistled, and I turned around to face them.

"Excuse me?" I asked, staring at Hayes, Nash’s little brother.

"I was just saying you look good," He grinned, and I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"You’re quite cheeky, aren’t you?"

"I try."

"Well, I’m gonna head to dinner now," I spoke, and turned on my heels to leave. As I was walking up the hall, Hayes came to walk beside me.

"So, you know Nash because of school?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Unfortunately."

"Okay," Hayes nodded, "So.. have you slept together?"

I stopped in my tracks and turned to stare him, “What?”

"Have you and Nash slept together?" He spoke so casually I couldn’t tell if he was joking or not.

"Not that I feel in any way comfortable discussing this with a thirteen year old," I said, placing my hands on my hips, "But no. We haven’t slept together.”

"Oh, okay," He shrugged, "Just thought I’d ask. I’ve never actually met any real girl friends of Nash’s.”

"And you still haven’t," I said, walking again, "Myself and Nash are not friends.

We continued into the dining room, where Nila had just finished setting the table with Will.

"I’m just about to get the dinner up," Nila said to me, smiling, "Take a seat."

I sat down beside Will at the table, with Hayes sitting to my other side. Leon and Gemma sat opposite us, just as my parents came in to sit down.

"Move or I’ll hit you," I heard a familiar voice say from behind me, and I tried my hardest to refrain from groaning. Hayes grumbled something beside me, but stood up and moved to another seat. I glanced to my side as Nash sat down beside me. He looked at me and smirked.

"You look nice," He said, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I already told her," Hayes spoke from across the table, and Nash looked at him.

"Nobody cares, Haas." Nash tossed a bread roll at him.

"Hey, no playing with the food," Chad said, as he and Nila walked into the kitchen with the food. They placed all the food on the table, and everybody started filling their plates.

As I was putting some pasta on my plate, I felt a hand run up my thigh, causing me to spill some pasta on the table.

"Jolie, you okay?" My mom asked, looking at me. I nodded and put on a fake smile.

"Yep. I’m perfect.”

I shot Nash a look, but he was just grinning down at his plate. I reached down and removed his hand from my leg, then began eating.

"So, Jolie," Nila spoke, looking at me, "How’s school going?"

"Pretty good. I’m doing great in English," I said absentmindedly, then looked at my parents. They were frowning at me.

"I mean, um—"

"She’s great in all of her classes, not just English," My mom spoke, and I sat back in my chair, grateful for her saving me there.