Chapter 25: Someone to Rely On

"...I haven't seen or spoken to her since Spring Break. Which is probably a good thing, for both of us."

Mr Edwards shook his head as he stared at the ground. I slowly nodded as I tried to take in everything he had just told me. I still wasn't sure why I told him to tell me, but he had just extensively told me about how his marriage has broken down and how he's feeling at a loss for things. To be honest, it really put my problems in perspective.

"Well, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to relationships," I spoke, folding my arms over my chest, "But I agree that this could be a good thing. From what you've told me, you were both unhappy and the marriage had many issues. It's better to face those issues than to continue on pretending everything is fine and to just become even unhappier in your relationship."

He looked up at me and sighed, "I can't quite believe this."

"I'm sorry?" I cocked an eyebrow at his response.

"I mean, I can't believe I just unloaded all of my problems on you. It's completely unprofessional," Mr Edwards rubbed the back of his head, "But, I do think your advice is not only good, but really needed. Thank you, I appreciate it."

"Hey, I'm just trying to help," I shrugged, "I don't know why I am, but I am."

"Maybe because you're a nice person?"

"No, definitely not that."

Mr Edwards laughed quietly, and then looked behind him at the clock on the wall.

"Have I really been talking for a whole hour?"

"Not the whole hour," I told him, "You stopped about halfway to take a drink of a water."

"You're a very sarcastic person."

"Really? I hadn't noticed," I said, picking up my bag and books, "Sorry. I can't quite turn it off."

"It's fine," Mr Edwards shook his head, "Um.. thank you, again. I really mean it."

"It's cool," I told him, "As long as we're on speaking terms now then it's fine."

He nodded in response, then walked over to the door of the classroom. Mr Edwards held the door for me as I walked out, but caught my arm just before leaving.

"You know, you really are a nice person, Jolie," He whispered, leaning close to my face.

"Um, thank you," I responded quietly. He let go of my arm and stepped back. We nodded at each other as a goodbye, and I began to head towards the exit of the school.

Well, that was a little uncomfortable, I told myself as I stepped outside. I was just about to head towards my car, when a voice stopped me.

"Well, you took long enough."

I jumped at the voice, slightly alarmed, and quickly looked to see who it was. I frowned at the familiar smile and shoved them away.

"Dammit, Cam. You scared the crap out of me."

"Not my intention, but I can't deny I'm delighted with the outcome."

"What are you doing hanging around out here anyway?" I asked, beginning to walk towards my car.

"I was waiting for you," He spoke, following me, "Emma told me you're taking me to the prom?"

"Oh, yeah," I shrugged, "Probably should have let you know."

"Yeah, probably," Cam chuckled, "For all you know I might already have a date."

"Yeah, right," I snorted and turned to him as I reached my car.