Chapter 21: A Dip in the Lake

After the boys showed up at the lake, I constantly found myself wandering towards the windows to look out at them. They weren't doing anything, really. Just goofing off and being boys. I wasn't sure what I was so worried about.

I called Emma to talk about it with her. She just told me to ignore them, and when I didn't praise her for the advice she told me she had places to be and hung up. I trudged my way back to the living room to Leon, only to find he wasn't there.

"Leon?" I called out, but received no answer. I began to search the house for him.

"Leon, come out! This isn't funny!"

When I couldn't find him in the house, I made the decision to go and ask Nash to help me look for him. As I made my way to the sliding doors in the kitchen, I looked out at the guys, and noticed a familiar little head among them. I frowned as I left the house and headed down to the lake.

"What the hell are you doing with my brother?" I asked, approaching the group. They all turned their heads to look at me, and Leon looked up at me and smiled.

"We're just hanging out," Nash shrugged nonchalantly. I glared at him and tugged Leon toward me.

"If you wanted a little kid to hang out with, why didn't you invite your own brother?"

"Because Hayes is thirteen. He's always trying to tag along with me and my friends, it's annoying. Whereas Leo is still at an age where it's kinda cool to hang out with them," Nash smiled at Leon and ruffled his hair, "You know what I'm saying, Jo?"

"His name is Leon, not Leo. Just like my name is Jolie, not Jo," I told him.

"Jolie, lighten up," Cam smiled as he approached me, "We were just hanging out with him. He's cool. But, if you don't want him hanging out with us, then that's fine."

I stared at Cam for a minute, then looked down at Leon, "Do you want to hang out with them?"

Leon nodded up at me, a wide grin spread across his face. I sighed and let go of his arm.

"Fine. He can hang out with you guys," I rolled my eyes, then looked at Cam, "But make sure you watch him. I don't want to come back later and find you broke my little brother."

"Why don't you stay?" One of the guys asked, and I had to look to see who it was.

I gave Aaron a funny look as I answered, "Yeah, sounds like a great idea."

"Do you not want to hang out with us?" Matt asked, pretending to be offended, "Are we not good enough for you?"

"Oh my God, it's not that," I rolled my eyes at him and crossed my arms.

"Then what is it?"

I glanced at Nash, who wasn't paying me any attention, and then looked back at Matt.

"Nothing. I'll hang out with you guys."

"Great," Cam beamed and tossed his arm over my shoulders, "You'll have fun."

"Pretty sure that's what they said to the first person to try out a bullet proof vest," I grumbled under my breath, but followed the boys nonetheless.

***

I had to admit, Cam was right. I was having fun with him and the guys. Well, minus Nash. I just pretended he wasn't there.

All day we just goofed off and made jokes. I didn't think I would find it fun, but I did. The guys rode Nash's jet skis around the water as well, but I refused to get on one, despite the guys badgering me. They just looked too scary. Hanging out with them made me realise how long it had been since I hung out with any of them. Even Cameron.