Chapter 3: The First Key

When Smokescreen woke up, it had been a few days. "Is everything good, Doc? He asked tiredly. Ratchet nods "I finished a few hours ago. You had quite the damage. They must have made some new weapon because some damage could only be done if you were crushed by a massive weight or thrown hard at a wall. The decepticon soldiers are almost the same size as you, so they couldn't have been the ones to do that to you.... Must have been Megatron or Dreadwing."

               Smokescreen stands to his feet and walks over to the front where he saw Optimus working. He keeps his gaze down and away from Prime. His leader did notice him "I see you are doing better, already." Smokescreen nods nervously. Optimus then turns back to the screen and the other autobots come into the room.

         Prime then announces "I have finished decoding the first set of the final 4 coordinates . Divide into teams in the event that I'm able to decode another before the first team returns." Smokescreen steps back. He wasn't ready. Arcee calls out "I'm on team one. Who's with me?" Prime answers "Smokescreen will go with you." Ratchet stares at Prime "But, he just got fixed today!! He's not suited for battle yet!" Prime counters "He survived the course to Earth and the invasion of The Hall Of Records. He will be fine. I assure of it."

        Arcee looked back at Smokescreen in annoyance only to see him eyeing Optimus's fists. She was surprised. He had never looked so scared before. At least that she knew of. She cools down and walks to him "Smokescreen, is something wrong?" She asks calmly. Smokescreen gasps and replies "N-no. L-let's go! Ready for the journey!!" Arcee couldn't believe his response. He was bloodcurdling horrified a few seconds ago and now he sounded perfectly fine. "Something's not right with him...." She thought.

            The 2 embark for the first set and they arrive in a desert. "First ones here. That's good...." Smokes remarks. Cee adds "No locator beacon, which means the relic's still buried. Good sign as well, right about.... There." They travel to the signal which was in ancient ruins. Smokescreen went to apologize for happened 2 weeks ago with Jack. "Arcee, I... I-I owe you an apology... I never meant to endanger Jack.... I-I...." "Smokescreen, that was 2 weeks ago. And you changed dramatically!! You already apologized!!! I want to know what happened and how you could remember bringing my friend with you but not that you apologized the same day!!!" Smokescreen flinched as she interrupted. He stepped away as she neared him as well.

       "Smoke.... Screen.... Is something wrong? What happened? What did the decepticons do to you? You seemed fine when we got you...." Arcee worries. Smokescreen shakes his helm "I-I'm fine... really. Let's just...." He begins walking forward "Let's just get this relic, return to base and hand it to Optimus so you're safe and you don't get beaten. Okay?"  Arcee was in shock. "He's concerned about me and not his own self? Odd.... "

                As they walk, Arcee then asks "Smokescreen? Promise me something." The racer looked down to her "S-sure, what?" The motorcycle looks down "Promise me you won't end up like Cliff and Tailgate..." smokescreen nods and smiles a bit "Not gonna happen, elite guardmans honor."

          Down the hall, Arcee noticed that Smokescreen never spoke. Not even to crack a joke. He had definitely changed since what happened that day...

         They then find a carving near where the tracker beeped the most. "Pretty much spells things out." Smokescreen comments. Arcee didn't even have to ask for the racer to help her move the wall. He was on top of each order before she said it.

        They retrieve the relic and begin leaving. Smokes says "The ancient humans must have thought the Omega key was a gift from the gods." Arcee replies "And in a sense, they weren't wrong." Smokescreen stopped her. "Smokes, what's wrong?" She looked back to see him looking forward at something with a similar expression from back at base but a hint calmer.

             "Smokes? What is it?" She asks. Smokescreen ejects his blasters and walks out. Arcee ran towards him, scared for her life about his demise. They soon met with Megatron.

Arcee wasn't one for planning battles but she knew this wouldn't end well for them....