Chapter 1: Attack

Jack Darby was working in one of his classes on a test. A ringing caught his and a few other students' attention. He looks over for a quick second, seeing his teacher pick up the phone from off the wall. The kid looks back and continues his work.

        A few seconds later, his teacher taps his shoulder "Jack, you're going home." His teacher informs. Darby was confused "Is something wrong? I've never been called early." He asks. His teacher goes on "I'm not sure, your parents are here." Jack sighs and packs up his stuff and goes to his locker, putting a few things away. He then goes to the office to see his mother, Fowler and his 2 friends. "Ready to go?" Miko asks him. Jack looked to his mother who was at her phone, with a concerned expression. "Is something wrong?" He asks. June replies "I'll tell you in the car..."

        The 5 go out and enter the vehicle. The 3 kids sat in the back. Fowler began driving.
Down the road, Ms. Darby explains "Ratchet called me at work saying that something was wrong. I asked him if it concerned you, he said no. I asked about you 2, he said no. He then went on saying that Smokescreen has changed a lot, behavior wise and he feels like something happened between you 2."

            Jack went silent. The 2 younger kids look to him "What?" Miko asked "What's wrong?" Jack comments "When Smokescreen and I dumped that stuff on Vince's car, he didn't seem too happy. I asked him if something was wrong with what I was doing and he just laughed and said no, so I continued. Yet something in the way he said it didn't sound very real."

           They soon pull into the base and Bulkhead ran over to them and goes off "Thank Primus you're here. You won't believe what happened." Jack stepped forward in alarm "What? WHAT HAPPENED!!??" The wrecker looks to sickbay and the human runs over. "SMOKESCREEN!!" He calls.

        Said bot looks down to him. Jack stood in shock. Both Optimus and Smokescreen were littered in scars and scorch marks. Energon was also splattered on parts of them. "What on earth happened?" Jack asks again. Ratchet explains "We aren't sure, their signals cut out and I went after them to find both of them on opposite sides of the battle field, cons nowhere is sight or on radar." Miko asks "Some con ambushed them? How many?" Optimus reasons "We were blinded by smoke. There wasn't a way to tell." Fowler asks "I thought Megatron reserved your demise for himself? Why let a squadron out to you if he guessed you were there?" Arcee answers "Perhaps he didn't this time.

           Ratchet then speaks up "I will have to induce stasis to fix internal damage." Miko then asks "But, we'll need Optimus!!" Bulkhead adds "Yeah, without him, we're nothing!" "=<We can't afford to lose him again!!>=" Bumblebee adds. Ratchet announces "Enough!! It's only for Smokescreen. They did a number on him rather then on Prime."

           It goes silent. Miko breaks the quietness "Why would they go after him first? He's the new guy." Arcee responds "Perhaps they wanted to shorten our numbers by the easiest way possible?"

Raf speaks out "One thing doesn't add up, why would they just brutally attack and then leave without taking him prisoner?" Optimus tenses up but manages to stay calm in his  voice "I do not think that they would have the reason to take a dead Cybertronian aboard. At least, so they thought he was." Ratchet agrees "That would make sense....