V

Kenzie Hope

I had been in the cells for an hour by the time anyone had come to greet me. Usually, you get your initial beating when you first arrived, but not this time apparently. When someone had finally come, my thoughts had been gathered and I was prepared for what was to come.

"You are to be here for three days," The man informed me, looking at his clipboard. I nodded my head at the ground, not wanting to anger the guard. Then much to my surprise he said, "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Why," I asked.

He laughed a laugh without humor and looked me dead in the eyes. I adverted my gaze to my barefoot feet. "The alpha found his mate." He laughed again. My wolf started chanting 'mate' over and over again until he starting speaking again, then I hushed her.

"Oh?" I asked.

"His father has minutes left, so the alpha has to be with the late alpha, but the new Luna is rumored to be in the cells. That's why we were ordered to not touch a single inmate." He laughed again, then continued, "Honestly, if my new Luna is in here, she doesn't deserve our loyalty. She's probably a scum anyway, you know?"

"Yeah probably," I replied, shrinking back into the corner of the cell.

"If she's in here and can't take a beating, she's no Luna to me." He laughed. I felt myself shrink even further. The man walked away to the next cell and relayed the same information.

My eyes began to water and my heart began to feel heavy. I was Alpha Winters's mate. I was meant to be the next Luna. The man was talking about me, whether he knew it or not. His words stung me like no other. I had been hurt before, people had talked bad about me before, but his words, for some reason, hurt me more than ever.

Mate wants us! My wolf perked.

What makes you think that? I responded grumpy.

He doesn't want the guards to hurt us, duh.

That's what you got out of that? I laughed.

Yeah?

Well, I got out that we aren't fit to be Luna, Lex, She stayed quiet for a moment so I continued. He'll reject us when he finds out we aren't right for the part. At that Lexus whimpered and she began to paw at my mind. I felt bad for what I had told her, I knew it had hurt her, but it was true and she needed to be ready.

I want mate, She cried. I sighed at her and apologized, saying I couldn't get mate for her. She whimpered again and pawed again, making my head start to hurt. I laid down on the thin, dirty mattress and hugged my legs.

I wasn't one to dwell on what could have been, but right now, when life couldn't seen worse, I did. What the hell is my life? If my grandpa hadn't of been such as ass, both my parents would have been alive. I would have become Alpha of a good pack, a pack that had morals. Brady would be finding a moral mate, not someone in this fucked up pack. We wouldn't be living in a tiny apartment, we would live in a large Alpha Manor.

My dad use to tell me that I would've made a great alpha with the proper training. He would tell me stories of how there had never been a female alpha before, but no alpha had ever had a girl first. Well, that was a lie. There had been female first borns, but the father's had killed them shortly after their first breath. My father told me that even if he was the alpha, he would have trained me to become alpha, not have killed me.

My dad would have made a great alpha. He was trained to become the best the world had ever seen. He was a caring yet firm man who crafted punishments to accordance of the wrong doing. He fathered Brady and I wonderfully and I couldn't help, but think how he would have fathered a pack. I loved my father so much and for a long time he had been my best friend. I missed him.