VI

Kenzie Hope

It was, from what I could tell, in the middle of the night. The blinds of the window in the hospital bedroom were open. Forest trees sprouted from the ground as far as the eye could see, allowing for the pack their privacy. There were bright stars scattering the midnight blue sky and the waning crescent moon provided me light. Crickets sounded in the distance, letting my know that there was life in the quiet woods.

The moon light glistened into the room with a beautiful elegance. Though it was dark, I could still see everything. There was a pull out couch perpendicular to the left of the window. It was red and the usually tacky hospital room couch. On it laid my little brother, sleeping soundly, except for the occasional stir when my heart monitor would beep. He snored softly ever now and again,

My heart swelled when I saw Brady. I hated that he had to go through this, but I loved that he cared enough to sleep in my hotel room. He had always been a fantastic brother, even as a moody teenager. He always remembered my birthday and he always knew when something was wrong.

He was my best friend. Always had been, always would be. Since he was old enough to understand what was happening, he had always loved being with me. It didn't bother me because I loved it just as much. As a child, he would love to play Legos or action figures with me. It was adorable. He would walk over to me and tap on my leg exactly three times. Then he would very quietly ask if I would pretty please play with him. I love him.

On the other side of the room was a larger door with a window in it. It was well-lit on the other side of the door. People were bustling back and forth, like hospital people do. Most of them were in light purple scrubs, but every once in a while there was a person in dark purple. I watched them for a while before I felt something move at my foot.

I looked down in front of me to see a mop of black hair. His arms were serving as pillows and one of his hands was touching my shin lightly, allowing sparks to ignite the area. The grey sleeves were slightly ridden up, revealing half of a tattoo. I couldn't make out what it was, but it added to the attraction I felt for him.

My heart swelled involuntarily and my heart monitor started beating slightly more rapidly. Brady stirred in his sleep and Alpha Winters jumped up a bit, then settled back down. He cuddled up in his arms again and moved his hand against my thigh. It was almost as if his unconscious self wanted to make sure I was still there. I took a few deep breaths to calm my heart.

After a few moments, the door cracked open. The light seeped into the room and so did a taller woman with light purple scrubs and long red hair. She tiptoed toward the bed, obviously not wanting to wake anyone up. Once she looked over at me and realized I was awake, she smiled kindly. She glanced back at Alpha Winters then continued tiptoeing toward me.

She had long red hair and freckles scattered on her pale face. Her eyes were a beautiful ocean blue and they showed kindness. She was a taller woman with a slender build. The bags under her eyes were obvious, it didn't look like she had sleep in a few days. Poor girl.

"Luna Hope," She whispered to me, quiet enough that it wouldn't wake the boys who had super hearing. My eyes widened and my breath hitched at what she called me.

"No, no, no. Kenzie, please," I corrected her. She nodded as she smiled.

"Laura. I just need to take your vitals. May I?" She asked. I gave her a slight yes by moving my head and she began on the basic routine. She finished and after a few questions, she was on her way. The door accidentally slammed shut after her.

Alpha Winters jumped up again, but this time he didn't settle back down. His lively green eyes were bright against the dark tones of the room. He stared at me for a while, his green eyes penetrating my soul and silently talking to my wolf.