XXIX

Kenzie Hope

"Run."

I ran.

The stillness of the air seemed to suck even the sound of my footfalls into the nothingness of the graveyard. Even the trees seemed not to rustle as if they were tense with nerves for what was to come.

I ran into a gravel street, leaving the graveyard far behind me. The voice seemed to yell louder the farther away I got, the screeches of her voice invaded my ears. My calves were on fire as I pushed myself even harder. I looked down to see my bloody feet scraping against the gravel.

I was too caught up in my aching feet that I didn't see the upcoming rock. My bare foot hit the rock with so much force I nearly front flipped into the street. The ringing in my head became much more clear, the screech of a bell screaming at me.

"McKenna," Her voice rang out, "Run!" The voice was pleading, begging me to go. There was honesty in the voice, something that made me want to run to it with urgency.

There was a cackle behind me. Then, I was suddenly rushed to a new location.

I was back at the Winter's Alpha Manor. There was a child screaming outside. I ran to it.

In the half-light of morning the street was eerie. It wasn't just that it was a still day; the air simply didn't move. The leafy avenue was bereft of noise, as if every murmur and rustle was stolen away in the night. The sky was empty, not just of birds, but of clouds also. There was no weather at all; even the sunlight felt cold.

It was as if God had adjusted the colors of the world in the night, like it was as easy as twisting one of those old plastic dials on a TV set. Everything was brighter than it should be; the trees were not just green but radiant iridescent hues that burned themselves in my retinas. The houses were as lively as if they'd been repainted by moonlight and now stood vibrant in the golden rays that fell unfettered though the clear sky. The road that should be grey was a sleek river of black with perfect paint lines and the street-lamps were blue. But they had never been blue, not ever. Everything was so right it was wrong - really wrong. The front yard that had been disheveled with the decrepitude of early spring just yesterday were a riot of colorful blooms.

I was about to retreat inside when from the distance came a series of tiny screams. It was like the sound of an old record screeching against its player. It was the sound of nails on a chalk board. The sound of a child with pure terror in its voice. It grew louder, than softer, then louder again. At first it appeared to come from in front, then from behind. In only moments the noise was coming from every direction, getting closer, louder, more frantic.

"Don't fail me, child," A sickly voice cackled in all directions.

Then it was silent. It was the kind of silence that falls right before you get knifed in the back. It sent a shiver down my spine and I felt my blood chill in my veins.

I ran inside, hoping to find Kaden's awaiting arms. I locked the door behind me, terrified of what was out there.

I turned back to look at through the window. A face appeared at the window. It was my face but brighter. My usual dull blue eyes were as vibrant as the street lights. My cream hair was the color of fire. She smiled, showing her sickly neon yellow teeth. Then, as fast as she came, she was gone.

"Kaden!" I cried. "Kaden!" I couldn't stop screaming his name.

Suddenly, he was there. He was right in front of me. His strong arms wrapped themselves around me, comforting me.