Forty

Hannah Dolan
I woke up to the smell of bacon and cinnamon pancakes. Beside me, Ava was still sleeping so I decided to pick the monitor up, turn it on and bring it with me. As I walked out of our room and down the corridor, I began to hear Christmas music, followed by laughter. In the kitchen were Lisa, Cameron, and Grayson. They were all setting up the table with decorations and cutlery ready for breakfast.

"Merry Christmas!" Cameron said joyfully, hugging me once she saw me walk around the corner.

"Merry Christmas babe." Grayson said before pecking me on the lips.

The table was all set up, and Grayson was cooking breakfast. Ethan and Emma soon walked in with Lucas not far behind them.

"He's getting so good at walking now." I said in awe as I watched him waddle into the kitchen.

"I know," Emma said side-hugging me, "It's scary." She laughed.

Just as Grayson was almost done cooking, the monitor went off.

"Can you wait for me to bring Ava in, before you all start eating." I ask Grayson.

"Of course." He said turning off the monitor and handing it to me.

"Good morning baby." I quietly whispered as I picked Ava up, out of her cot. I quickly put her in a matching one piece to mine and Grayson's pyjamas (Lisa and Cameron, and Emma, Ethan and Lucas are all matching each other too).

As I walked into the kitchen, Lucas waved at Ava, because even though he is more than a year old now, and Ava is only 4 months, they are practically best friends. So, I took Ava's little hand, waved back, and then sat her in her high chair before we all started eating Grayson's amazing cinnamon pancakes and bacon (meat-free of course as we're vegan 😂).

Halfway through, Grayson stood up to go and get something - I couldn't quite work out what he was doing though. However, he came back with a bottle made for Ava. I felt stupid for forgetting but I thanked him and carried on eating and feeding Ava at the same time. I have no idea what I'd do without him.

After we'd cleared up everything, we were all now sat in the living room about to open our Christmas presents from each other.

***
We thought we had just opened all of them before Lisa announced she had one more to give. She gave me, Grayson, Ethan and Emma an envelope and told us we had to open them at the same time. We all looked at each other trying to work out what it was, but after we counted down from 3 and opened them up. We were all jumping up and down with excitement.

"No way!" Ethan shouted and hugged Lisa.

"Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!" Emma said as she jumped up to hug her as well.

"Are you serious? This is amazing mom!" Grayson said hugging her.

"Thankyouuuuuuu!" I said hugging her too.

"So I'm guessing you all like it then?" Lisa asked.

"Yeahhhh!" We all shouted at the same time. Cameron was sat next to Lisa smiling, and laughing at our reactions as she was holding Ava in her arms.

"I can't believe we've got VIP tickets to go and see Tame Impala babe!" Grayson said to me before pulling me in from behind, and hugging me as I basically led on his lap. This was definitely one of the best gifts I've ever gotten for Christmas!

"If you thought that the presents were over though —" Ethan began to say, standing up.

"— then you're wrong!" Grayson finished off his sentence. "We've got one more for Hannah and Emma!"

Me and Emma looked at each confused before our husband's were pulling us up and bringing everyone to the front door. Before we turned the corner, the boys blindfolded us both, and guided us outside. I heard Lisa and Cameron gasping as they saw what the present was.

"1, 2, 3!" Everyone shouted in unison. We both took our blindfolds off. And, we were both stood in front of a car, our dream car! We'd both always wanted a Range Rover Evoke, and now we've both got one!!! I took a glance at mine again...

 And, we were both stood in front of a car, our dream car! We'd both always wanted a Range Rover Evoke, and now we've both got one!!! I took a glance at mine again

Before looking back at Emma's ...

"I love it!" I said excitedly running up to Grayson, hugging and kissing him

"I love it!" I said excitedly running up to Grayson, hugging and kissing him. I noticed that Emma did the same, and then the boys handed us the keys. We both got them started, and let me tell you, there was enough room in there for me and Grayson to be able to have a big family - just like we've always wanted!

 We both got them started, and let me tell you, there was enough room in there for me and Grayson to be able to have a big family - just like we've always wanted!

Grayson came in and sat in the passenger seat. "The back seats do go down so that we have a big trunk as well!" He said excitedly.

"Awesome!" I replied.

***
It's been a long day; super long present opening, roast dinner, and now games. We were all playing Jenga, except from me because I was looking after Ava. But, let me tell you, it was getting intense! However, it ended pretty quickly when Cameron made it fall over.

***
It's somehow gotten to 1am. Both Ava and Lucas are asleep, and we're all agreeing that it's time for us to sleep too.  In the morning, Ethan, Emma and Lucas are going back home, and Lisa and Cameron are heading back to the airport. I'm very grateful for the Christmas I've had, especially with Ava being part of it this time!

Grayson is now in bed and I'm just putting Ava back down from giving her a bottle. I tuck her in before tucking myself in. Grayson decides to hug me from behind, and whisper...

"This was the best Christmas ever! I love you."

"I love you too."