2.10

Nik and I are on the way back to the safe house. Since Bekah is in somebody somewhere, we need someone else to stay behind and look after Jolie. Nik and I both agreed that Cami would be the perfect option.

Nik is boring Cami and I with one of his infamous soliloquies. "It has been said that all love begins and ends with she who gave us life. A thousand years ago, my mother turned us into monsters. Yet, still, she claimed to love her children, even as she vowed to destroy us. The noble Elijah, tormented by long-buried, shameful secrets. Kol, the wily troublemaker, out for no one but himself. Finn, the devoted acolyte, his love all too easily walked by our mother's sick hate. Fierce Rebekah, willing to risk everything on the chance that she may one day find happiness. Else, who wants nothing more than to protect her own child. And me, the bastard child. My mother's greatest shame. Now, finally, we have defeated her, giving her the choice she never thought to give us to live on as one of the monsters she created..."

The car stops and I start towards the house.

Nik does not stop talking, "Or, suffer the slow, agonizing death she so deserves."

Cami looks confused. "Um, congratulations, I guess? But, right now, I'm a little more worried about Finn... considering I totally stabbed him in the back."

I smile at her. "He won't find you here. This is the safest place you could possibly be. Come on! There's someone I want you to meet." Cami looks at me intrigued. "I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family. The little troublemaker all the fuss has been about."

The door opens and Jack walks out with Jolie in his arms. I rush over to my daughter. "Hi, honey! Mama's here. Ooh!" I smile at Jack before turning back to Cami. "Cami, this is Jolie."

Cami looks shocked. "Oh my god! But... You said... I thought she was...?"

I take Jolie from Jack. "The only way to truly protect her was to convince the world of her death." I turn and look at Cami awkwardly. "I hope you understand, once it is safe for you to leave here, this secret cannot leave with you."

Cami nods in understanding, smile on her face. She walks towards Jolie. Jolie grabs her finger and coos at her, and we all giggle. "Oh, she's perfect!"

We head inside to brainstorm our next move. "Now that we've entombed our mother, I intend to finish making the city safe for Jolie. Which, to start, means dealing with the lingering problem of Finn," I state.

Cami sighs. "Oh, once he figures out what you've done to your mother, he's gonna go off the deep end."

"That's exactly why we need to keep you out of harm's way. Else, Jackson, and I will return home and take care of my wayward brother. Elijah will remain here with you," Nik explains.

Elijah looks displeased as he peers out the window.

"He's been experiencing some side effects since his ordeal as our mother's captive. Best he stay here and convalesce," I state.

Elijah gives me an offended look. "A single violent outburst at a filthy road-side café, and one never hears the end of it."

Nik laughs. "Oh, Cami has a way with minds plagued by demons, brother. You two can bond!"

Cami and Elijah look at each other, both uncomfortable.

"Well, if you excuse me, we best be on our way! Rebekah should have already woken up in the body of Angelica Barker. Once she has cut the ties of Miss Barker's former life, she'll make her way directly here." Nik smiles. "You should expect her shortly."

Nik starts his way back to the car. Jack and I say our goodbyes to Jolie. It's hard but I eventually hand her over to Cami. I know that I will see her again, once Finn stops trying to kill the rest of our siblings and I.