1.5

I'm sitting on a couch in the living room flipping through a magazine. Jackson is sitting next to me. Rebekah is typing away on her laptop on the other side of the room. Agnes, the witch, is sitting in a chair across from Jackson and me.

"I told you Agnes, I feel great!" I say with a smile.

"You are overdue for a checkup," Agnes tells me.

"What am I gonna do? Pop into the Quarter for a quick ultrasound? A pregnant Original escorted by a witch? Nothing to see here!" I remark.

Bekah looks at me displeased. "A lot of women would kill to have a child. It strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours."

"I know a doctor out in the Bayou, off the beaten path. Now, I took the liberty of making an appointment for you. Tonight, after-hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it," Agnes tells me.

I look at Bekah. I can tell I upset her and that was never my intention. I mean she is right. I should be taking better care of the baby. Bekah has always wanted a family of her own.

"Okay, fine. Bayou-baby-doctor it is, but only if Jackson goes with me." I look towards Jackson expectantly.

He looks at me for a moment before smiling. "Alright let's go."

The three of us leave the house, getting in Agnes' car and starting the trek to the Bayou. It takes a while, but we eventually make it. It's already dark outside and I can hear owls hooting. The building looks slightly rundown. If Agnes hadn't stopped the car, I wouldn't have even thought that this was a doctor's office.

"This is the doctor's office?" Jackson asks.

Agnes smiles. "Dr. Paige is only this far out because Marcel's men kept terrorizing her patients. Go! She won't bite!"

Jackson and I wearily get out of the car. Jack places his hand on my lower back as we walk towards the clinic.

"Don't worry, I'm sure the inside looks better than the outside," Jackson tells me.

I smile slightly. Once inside I see that Jackson was right. The place is clean and better looking inside than the outside.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Paige you must be Else." I shake her hand. "And are you the father?"

Jackson nods and extends his hand out to her. "Jackson."

Dr. Paige takes us to the back. I lay down on the exam table so she can do an ultrasound. I smile when I hear my little girl's heartbeat. Jackson looks at me, he is grinning from ear to ear. This is the first time he's heard our little girl's heartbeat.

Dr. Paige smiles at me. "Your baby's heart rate is perfect."

I smile at her. "I knew it. She's a tough one, like her mom."

Dr. Paige chuckles and hands me a tissue to wipe the ultrasound gel off of my stomach. After I do I sit up, ready to get out of here.

"We're pretty much done here, right?" Jackson asks.

My phone vibrates. It's a text from Bekah. "Where are you?"

"Else, your blood pressure is a bit high; I've got something for it," Dr. Paige tells me.

I watch her as she walks out of the room, where Agnes is waiting. I text Bekah back. "Bayou clinic with doctor."

Suddenly I hear a wolf howl loudly. Jackson jumps as do I. We both get up to look out the window. We see a car's headlights approaching. I look to Jackson, and he looks just as concerned as me.

Dr. Paige returns with the medication.

"Ahh, you know, I'm-I'm actually not that good with pills," I tell her.