1.13

Back at the compound Elijah has gathered Nik, Bekah and I in the living room. He is explaining the new plan for the Harvest Ritual.

Bekah rolls her eyes. "It's taken one thousand years, but you've finally gone mad. Our own mother?"

"Yes, our beloved mother, who Niklaus has affectionately placed in a coffin in his basement not daggered, but quite dead," Elijah states.

"Well, she did try to kill us all," Nik reminds him.

"Well, I say we put her to use and put her to rest once and for all. Now if we bury our mother on land owned by one of her descendants, she becomes a New Orleans witch, and we, as her family, share in that ancestral magic," Elijah explains.

"We're vampires, Elijah. We can't practice magic. Or own property, for that matter," Bekah argues.

"Yes. With regard to practicing magic. That's where Sophie Deveraux comes in. After we bury our mother, we can channel all her power to her. Only hitch is, as conduits of Esther's magic, we need to participate in the Harvest," Elijah explains. "And, as for owning property, not all of our mother's descendants are dead..."

Nik looks surprised. "The baby."

"The baby. The parish Tax Assessor's office is just steps outside of the Quarter. We are hoping there is a little leeway in the fact that the baby is not born yet, but she now holds the title to the plantation. So, if we bury our mother there, and we consecrate those grounds, we can finish the Harvest ritual," Elijah explains.

Elijah had called me earlier telling about the plan. In a pinch I needed to name my daughter and hope that this was going to count as a descendent owning land. Elijah was able to compel the assessor into granting the title to a baby but it may just be crazy enough to work.

"You're a bit of a mad genius, Elijah. Count me in," Nik states.

"I wouldn't have given my baby a name, without talking to Jack, if I didn't plan on agreeing, so I'm in," I state.

"Am I the only one thinking? Our mother was the most powerful witch in history. If we bury her, we hand that power to our enemies to use against us," Bekah argues.

"Given our circumstances, I hardly see that we have a choice, Rebekah," Elijah tells her.

Bekah sighs in frustration. "I don't know why I bother. You three will just do what you want anyway."

"No. Our decision must be unanimous," I tell her.

"This is not a democracy," Nik butts in.

"You're quite right." I smile. "This is family." I can hear the sound of a powerful rainstorm that is pouring down on the house. "Water. The next sign's begun. Bekah?"

"Kill a demon today, face the devil tomorrow. Count me in," Bekah tells us.

Nik smirks. "Well, this is no family reunion without our mother. I'll fetch her."

Klaus, Elijah, Father Kieran and I are waiting in the backyard of the plantation house. My brothers have dug a grave for Esther. Finally Bekah arrives to join us. It's still pouring down rain.

"Are you ready to do this?" Father Kieran asks.

"Always and forever," Nik states.

He takes a dagger out and slices his palm open, dripping the blood over Esther's grave. He hands the blade to Rebekah, who does the same, along with Elijah and I. Once we've all dripped our blood into the grave, Father Kieran takes the knife and throws it into the grave as well.

"It's done," Kieran states.

My siblings and I head to Lafayette Cemetery. We stand with Sophie waiting for Marcel and Davina to arrive to complete the Harvest. Suddenly, flames start to erupt near the entrance, startling us all.