1.9

Nik has decided he needs to have a dinner party to celebrate his return to leadership over New Orleans and his repossession of the Abattoir compound from Marcel. Nik and I sit at the ends of the table while Marcel and his closest friends sit on either side of us.

Klaus calls for everyone's attention by tapping his glass with his fork. "Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift: immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine." Klaus gestures towards the waiters and they approach the table. "Insatiable need, exquisite pain..." The servants slit their wrists with knives, filling the cups with blood for the vampires. "Our victories, and our defeats." Klaus looks towards Marcel. "To my city, my home again. May the blood never seize to flow."

Marcel raises his own glass. "And the party never end."

Diego raises his glass. "To New Orleans."

Nik repates, "To New Orleans!"

Everyone else raises their glasses. "New Orleans."

Everyone drinks but me. I don't know how to feel about Nik being in control of the city. I fear that he will let the power go to his head, as he always does. Whether he likes it or not I will be by his side trying to keep him from ruining the lives of our siblings and trying to keep him from ruining the city. I'm his twin after all I've been by his side for a thousand years now.

"I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires," Klaus states.

"What about her?" Diego asks as he points towards me. "The pregnant wolf."

"The pregnant Original hybrid," I correct him.

Nik smirks. "Had you'd let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like to address." Nik walks over to me and stands behind my chair. "As many of you know, my twin sister is with child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of her child to create hybrids. I assure you I do not."

I smirk. "Wow brother of the year."

No one looks convinced.

Nik is becoming frustrated. "It appears I will have to earn your trust. Very well. We'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the Bayou to turn?"

I look at him stunned. "What? Niklaus, no!"

Nik ignores me. "So, eat, drink, and be merry. And, tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead, have fun. Kill them all!" Nik looks right at me, and I can tell he does not care how his words are affecting me.

I need to warn the wolves in the Bayou. They are my daughter's family. Jack is out there. I won't let anyone hurt him or the rest of his pack. I head towards the door, trying to make sure Nik doesn't see me.

Suddenly Diego is in front of me. "Going somewhere?"

I don't hesitate to snap his neck. As he falls to the ground Elijah shows up beside me. "Once again I thought my little sister was in trouble. Once again she proved she doesn't need my help."

I smile at Elijah before getting serious. "Elijah, you shouldn't be here. Nik has his guys watching me."

Elijah shrugs. "I wouldn't worry about them."