2.9

The ride to the safe house feels like it takes forever. I can't stop smiling the whole way. After months I finally get to see my baby girl again. When we finally get to the safe house I don't even wait for Nik to put the car in park before hopping out.

I stop dead in my tracks when I see Elijah holding Jolie. I rush over and take my daughter from him. I smile down at her. "Hi!" I hug her tightly and breathe a sigh of relief. I can feel the tears in my eyes. For months this is all I've wanted.

Jack catches up to me and stares down at our daughter. Jolie coos happily, and Jack and I both laugh. It feels like for a moment we can finally be a family.

I hold Jolie as I discuss new findings with my siblings and Jack.

"Curse on the first-born? What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?" Bekah asks. She continues to build a large bonfire in the front yard.

"Well, according to Finn, our sister Freya didn't die of plague. She was taken as payment by our aunt Dahlia, who then cursed all Mikaelson first-borns for eternity," I explain.

Jack looks at me concerned. "Is any of this true?"

"It is if we are to believe Finn, who learned it from the bastion of truth our mother," Elijah offers.

"Well, no wonder Finn hates us. He lost the sister he adored, and instead got a judgy pack of siblings who found him unbearably dull," Bekah states.

"Great. So, is there any chance of us running into your loony aunt Dahlia any time soon?" Jack questions.

"The fable's over a thousand years old. Dahlia is long dead," Nik states.

Jack looks at me and I can tell he is worried. "...Like Esther?"

"No one's going to hurt Jolie, because no one's going to find her," I state.

Everyone stays silent for a moment, until Nik pipes up, "There's enough wood, Rebekah. You'll burn down the whole bloody state of Arkansas."

Bekah rubs her hands together excitedly as she returns to where everyone else is standing. "Well, we're just missing a key ingredient!"

Nik sighs. "No, we're not."

I grin. "Yes, we are, Nik! Back us up, Elijah!" I shout.

Elijah laughs. "I suspect Niklaus would rather choke on the ashes."

Jack looks confused. "What are you all talking about?"

"Well, before we light it, we write down our wishes for each other to burn for luck! It was Kol's favorite part when we were kids!" I explain.

"It's further evidence as to why we should ignore it!" Nik remarks.

"Jolie's first bonfire season. I like it!" Jack smiles. "We're doing it!" I smile at Jack, happy he is agreeing to my family's tradition.

Inside Nik sits at the dining room table holding Jolie. I watch him with a smile on my face. I didn't think I would ever see my brother's soft side.

Jack comes into the room with a small notebook in hand. He holds the notebook and a pencil put to my brother. "Here."

"I'm holding a small child, Jackson. This silly wish game will have to wait!" Nik remarks.

I smile at my brother. "You write, I'm sure Jack would like to hold his own daughter." I take Jolie from Nik and hand her over to Jack.

Jack smiles down at our daughter. "Heyyy!"

Nik picks up the paper and pencil. "I wish that our mother would stop trying to destroy her children."