1.15

Elijah and I are at Lafayette Cemetery. Since the vampires have nothing to do with my siblings disappearances that means the witches do. I quickly throw three witches out of our way. When they see Elijah and I standing in front of them the rest of the witches back away. I can tell I've given them a good scare.

"My siblings have been taken. Where are they?" I ask.

Monique Deveraux walks towards us, holding a lit white candle in front of her. "You're interrupting my Aunt Sophie's consecration."

I look at her confused. Then I turn to my left and see the Deveraux family tomb open with a body inside.

"How did this happen?" Elijah questions.

Monique smiles. "Aunt Sophie was a casualty of war."

"Monique, I recommend you give us what we want. Unless, of course, you'd like me to level this place and everything in it," Elijah threatens.

"That won't be necessary. I have a message for you from Celeste." Monique raises her hand toward Elijah and starts casting a spell on him.

Elijah suddenly looks uncomfortable. He starts to tug at the collar of his shirt. He rips open the top button of his shirt. I can see the name Theresa tattooed on his chest. When he rolls up his sleeve, I can see more names on his arm, including Sabine.

"To find what you're looking for, follow the path she left behind," Monique tells him.

Elijah and I head back to the compound needing to think and regroup. We find Marcel setting out more cops to look for Bekah and Nik.

"Anything?" I ask Marcel.

"They're putting eyes and ears out everywhere. Daywalkers are working every contact we've got. Cops, dock workers, guys in the Treme... Word is out: anyone trying to earn favor with me gets a lifetime of it if they find them," Marcel explains.

"Good. I need a pen and paper," Elijah tells him. We both turn to walk away.

Marcel follows behind us. "Hey, am I taking orders from you now, or are we in this together?"

Elijah starts removing his jacket as we enter the study. "Pen and paper, Marcellus. Now."

Marcel sighs. "I want her back just as much as you do, you know... The both of them."

As Marcel goes to get a pen, Elijah begins to take off his shirt. "Hayley!"

"Elijah! You're back. Did you find any..." Hayley stops when she realizes that Elijah is both shirtless and covered in tattoos of names and gapes awkwardly. "...thing?" She looks at both of us in confusion. "What is happening?"

"I need you to make a list of these names," Elijah explains.

Hayley walks over and starts to look at the names all over Elijah's torso. She notices the one on his arm. "Sabine? Elijah, what is this?"

"I believe they represent the names of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries," Elijah explains.

Marcel comes back pen and paper in hand and gives them to Hayley. "It's called a Devinette. It's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it, and it disappears."

"Why? What's the point?" Hayley asks.

"Celeste forced me to make a choice between yourself and my siblings, and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer. To find Klaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names," Elijah tells her.